Logo

Do I have the correct Prop on my boat

lola

"My boat is a custom built woo

"My boat is a custom built wood inboard 19'. Its got a Ford engine. The manifold say thunderbird with two bolts holding it on so I think it is a 302.? Anyway it is funky because the flywheel, generator, and waterpump are towards the bow right behind the front seat(the engine is in the middle of boat, (double cockpit boat)The steering wheel is on the side like a car. This has a clutch type pedal that I think controls the pressure plate to let me shift into gear. One gear shift is for reverse/neu and the other is for forward/new. Engine seems to run good, and I am able to shift into forward and reverse but then when I accelerate my boat just doesnt move as fast as it should. High rpms but it seems like the prop isnt pushing it like it should. Do I have the wrong prop on or is my tranny slipping."

"With 2 acorn nuts holding dow

"With 2 acorn nuts holding down the valve covers, you have a Ford Y-block series engine marinized by Dearborn Interceptor. These came in 239, 272,292 and 312 cid. They all had Carter YH sidedraft carburetors which need to be adjusted to near perfection to run properly. Worse, early models came with a Dearborn built transmission (FNR) some of which operated on engine crancase oil! Mechanics called them "crash-o-matics" as they are slow to engage. Indeed, you could have slipping issues if you are running one of these trannys. Model A ran on engine oil, Model B ran on its own motor oil and Model C used ATF (the pink stuff). Anyway, can you post pictures of the rig?"

Back