Logo

My old inboard not engaging completely

lola

I have what I believe is a 59

I have what I believe is a 59 or 60 Ford thunderbird 318 in my old boat. Not sure if I have the right prop on it but when I put it in gear and accelerate the rpms are there but doesnt seem like the prop is turning fast enough. Is this the transmission slipping and if so what causes it to slip. Or do I have the wrong prop on it. When I look at the prop under water looking at it from the back of the boat it is turning clockwise and it is a RH prop. I think that is right. Its a 19' wood boat.

"Doug:

If that engine's

"Doug:

If that engine's from a T-bird, it isn't a 318 (those are chrysler's?) but more likely an FE block.

If you are talking an inboard setup, it could be the gear slipping - there's really not else. To see if it is slipping, you need to measure the output shaft RPM and compare it to the engine's, taking into account any reduction ratio the gear may provide (could be 1:1 w/o any reduction, too). The easiest way is to use an optical tach.

If the gear is slipping, it could be low on oil, the pump is worn, or the friction discs are worn out. Another possibility is the control cable is worn or mis-adjusted and the selector lever isn't fully engaging. Without any specifics, all we can do is guess.

The only other things that comes to mind would be propeller cavitation but that's usually pretty dramatic...much more loss than a 'slip' in the gear."

Back