Logo

Water in upper gear case found when replacing impeller

I just recently acquired a 197

I just recently acquired a 1974 Tahiti with a OMC 140 stern drive. The model # is 990216R1.
I decided it would be a good idea to replace the water pump impeller before our first trip out but when I was draining the gear oil from the upper unit it was very milky with water.
Will this problem be solved when I replace the seals that come with the impeller/housing kit? or is there another reason water would be mixing with the gear fluid. I am a auto mechanic and I purchased the SELOC manual but this is my first boat project and I'm not to sure where the water is coming from.

Thanks

"Agreed. Check all seals. If

"Agreed. Check all seals. If your design is similar to my 225, the most likely culprit is the O-ring on top. May even be missing."

"Unfortunately these top units

"Unfortunately these top units leak.
The main culprit is not normally the O-rings, but the input shaft. If that is not properly shimmed and the seal is fresh, it gets worse.
If you have your boat on trailer, it is not a big problem to check and change oil a bit more frequent, and you may be able to 'live with it' for quite some time. If your boat is at a mooring, you should re-seal and re-shim the upper unit."

"Morten,

Can you briefly de

"Morten,

Can you briefly describe the reseal procedure. Any special tools needed to reseal.
I know it takes a special shim tool to do a reshim but what about just resealing to keep some water out. I have a manual and have read it and reread it, but it always helps me to hear different ways of saying the same thing.

thanks in advance."

"Unfortunately re-seal and re-

"Unfortunately re-seal and re-build is the same with these units, it all has to come apart to get access to the important seals.
This means a re-torque of lower bearing holder and most likely a re-shimming of in-put shaft as the plastic shims normally goes busted when you remove the seal holder/input shaft. If you notice even the slightest axial play in input shaft, time to change the end-bearing.
So unless the upper waterpump shaft/splines are still in working condition, leave it. When they goes, 'rebuild'."

Back