Logo

No Water At Impeller 23l Ford Cobra

yahoo50

"I just installed a second new

"I just installed a second new impeller housing, and impeller kit. The last one got hot and melted the cage to the housing,i left the cover off and the new one started getting hot so i shut off boat took off the housing and it was dry, i can blow through the rubber hose that connects to the housing, anything else to look for? and i had the muffs on with the water hose wide open. No water coming up through the tube. water everywhere except where it needs to be."

"If it has run that hot, you m

"If it has run that hot, you most likely have to split the drive and replace the seals for the water tube between upper and lower unit.
Drain the drive for oil, pull it off the boat. Lift off the upper unit and You will find the tube and seals."

"I talked to a boat mechanic a

"I talked to a boat mechanic and he said that my outdrive had a ( self priming ) something or another in it and he could fix it ($50) but we HAVE TO TAKE IT TO THE LAKE to do it.he said all he has to do is to pull a plate off the side of it.I have never heard of this. This sounds like TOO EASY OF A FIX. i trust all of you guy's before i trust this! My concern is if it works, will it still prime up with the paddles in the driveway? Because this is the problem i have now. Also if i have to pull the drive and split it what do i need to know about the splitting part (Never done it ) is it straight forward or are there any special tools needed anything to watch for while splitting and reassembly?
Thanks To ALL !!!!!
Ernie"

the garden hose will prime the

the garden hose will prime the pump. the plate that I am thinking your mechanic is talking about is under the cobra badge on the left side and you do not ever want to remove it. they refer to that as the cobra owners second mistake. take the impeller pump and housing off the drive turn on the garden hose and watch for water comeing comeing from the right side of where the pump housing mounts. if water is comeing from there then the passage way to the pump is clear and not stopped up. if water does not flow then you have a problem in the drive. my housing got hot and melted earlier this year when it happened the stainless steel insert in the housing turned and blocked off a water passage. look at your housing and make sure that yours has not turned. there are two sets of slits in the metal insert that should be lined up with the wide spots in the plastic housing on the bottom left and right. hope this helps you. Michael

"Mr. Shrader, I think i had a

"Mr. Shrader, I think i had a paddle problem i squeezed the paddles together and water came rushing out the right side of where the pump housing mounts like you said. so i worked over my paddles and now have continous flow of water,Does this sound possible to you? Because when i removed the housing it was BONE dry. as for the rest, the housing,s.s. insert,gasket,wear plate and impeller,and rubber gasket are all new.i did not let anything melt down this time. when i felt the housing getting hot i shut off the motor and started my investigation.as for the cobra badge i only have one and it is on the drivers side of drive.If there was ever one on the passanger side it is gone and me and my brother-in-law already made that mistake!! LOL ( NOW ).It took us several hours to get that nut lined up with the bolt to get it back on.i now only slightly loosen it during my winterizing process because water does come out of the hole and about a week later i tighten it back up. So what is the purpose of the rubber line that connects to the impeller housing? is that just a drain tube? and what is the best repair manual for this drive. the OEM or what? Thanks a million!
Ernie"

Back