Logo

BF50A running problems

robert2009

"I purchased this engine new i

"I purchased this engine new in 2003. We use it just to get back and forth to our cabin on an island. It can't have more than 20 - 30 hours on it.

It ran flawlesly for the first 4 years, but now it bogs down and stalls when under load at about 2500RPM. Even with fresh gas.

Took it to the Honda dealer for plugs, filters and oil. They said I have to let it warm up for at least 5 minutes. Tried that but it still bogs down and stalls.

If I am lucky and can coax it to exceed 2500RPM it seem to run fine.

Any suggestion as to what might be the problem?"

"Thanks Just-In-Time. Based up

"Thanks Just-In-Time. Based upon you comment, I put some "Penzoil: carb cleaner in the tank and ran the engine for about an hour, at idle in a test tank.

I took it out yesterday for a test on a small nearby lake. Problem seem to be resolved. The real test come this weekend when we head off to the cabin.

Again, thanks!"

"I just purchased a pontoon wi

"I just purchased a pontoon with a 50A on back. It had sat for a year and a half before purchase. Changed all fluids, and the impeller. Decided to "chance it" with the carbs. It ran great on shore with no load. Launched it, nothing over 2000RPM. Put back on trailer, took it to the pro's and 2.5 hrs labor later I was back on the lake. The thing purrs like no ones business. Also had poor pee after the impeller change. They fixed that too, had silt somewhere in the system. Now it pees like me after a box of Old Mill.....Beat the heck out of trying the "technician in a can". Back on the lake tomorrow."

"Just thought I'd post an

"Just thought I'd post an update.

The family just got back from 5 days on the island. Although there is still a little bit of a stutter at approx 2500 RPM, the engine is running much better. At least it survived the 8 mile island trip and numerous starts over the 5 days.

I will probably have the carbs rebuilt by a pro techician before our next trip."

Back