Logo

AQ280 Leg rubber lip

toma1955

"Help! The rubber lip on my AQ

"Help! The rubber lip on my AQ280 led is missing half of it (part number 8). All the places I look on the web, even on volvo penta web site does have the part listed. Where can I get one?
290264.jpg
Rubber lip"">
Thanks, Tom"

"It should be no problem order

"It should be no problem order it from any Volvo dealer!
I'm in fact partly responsible for that flap being re-introduced. It drastically reduces the noise compared to the bellow flap. May not be to noticeable on board, but those behind you will definitely appreciate that you keep the flap!"

"Hi Morten,

I went to Doug

"Hi Morten,

I went to Doug russell with no luck! Volvo dealer? tell me who! The problem is, no part number. Do you have a web link or a phone number I can use?"

"The exhaust flapper on any 28

"The exhaust flapper on any 280 lower was a factory option only.... this part by itself was never an "over-the-counter" part.
I'd NOT recommend the exhaust flapper in the exhaust bellows for any V-8.... too restrictive, IMO.

Now, you can modify a 290 exhaust flapper to work on a 280 lower unit. Part of this involves removing the raised portion (the bump) of the aluminum housing. No big deal!
This is because the 290 flapper does not accommodate the radius (the bump) in the aluminum housing.
The 290 flapper is straight across, so to speak!
Some slight cutting of the 290 flapper needs to be made where the two halves meet (the 280 was one piece and covered the bump).

The plate and rivots may not align properly with the 280 original rivot layout (I don't know as I have not retro-fit one that previously had a flapper on it)......, but I'd rather see the flapper on the drive than the flapper in the bellows.
(maybe punch new holes in the rubber and use the 280 plates)
Again, I'd do this for any of the larger engines!
4 banger????.... flapper in the bellows is OK!

If you do this mod, you've got a choice between aluminum or SS rivots. Either way, you've got dissimilar metals.
Of the two, I think you're best off to use the SS, IMO.
"

"Hi Ricardo,

How about if I

"Hi Ricardo,

How about if I just buy a piece of rubber and try to cut it out myself and rivet on. Would that work? How thick should the rubber be?

-Tom"

"I can't recommend that! I

"I can't recommend that! It may work, it may not! The V/P flapper is pre-formed, has a curf and gives the correct amount of tension against the outlet."

"Thanks guys for your help, I

"Thanks guys for your help, I have no choice but to go with the bellow with the flap. Thanks again, I learn so much good information from this forum."

"Tom, I have a couple of quest

"Tom, I have a couple of questions for you:

**Are you absolutely certain that you have a 280 lower unit? (they look very similar to a 290 and unless you've owned the boat since NEW, we don't know what a PO may have done!)

**Have you priced a 290 replacement flapper?

**Have you priced a bellows w/ the internal <u>flow restrictive</u> flapper? (I had to throw that in... LOL)

**Why don't you tell us which engine this is on.
Let THAT help make your decision.
If a 4 cylinder, then I'd have no problem with the bellows flapper.
V-8 ...... I would have a problem!

If you have not recently installed a new, fully collapsed-just-out-of-the-box exhaust bellows, you are in for some fun!
Installing a new "exhaust outlet" flapper will be easy and boring!

."

"Hi Ricardo, It's definite

"Hi Ricardo, It's definitely a 280 leg. The engine is a AQ130D "4 banger" It's looks like changing the bellow would be a lot easier than modifying the outdrive, to accommodate a 290 flapper, but now I'm starting to wonder. You got my curiosity, now I'm going to look into it."

"Wow! Thanks Ricardo for savin

"Wow! Thanks Ricardo for saving me some money, I stop the bellow order and order the flapper for a 290 outdrive. It's looks the same, we'll make it fit. Thanks again."

I have the same problem on my

I have the same problem on my 280. Do you have a part number for the flapper or a link thanks alot. This forum is great and saved me a lot of time and money thanks guys.

Back