Logo

225 buick distributor upgrade

"another guy just posted the s

"another guy just posted the samething, and as before why change it out if it's running good?"

Re: 225 buick distributor upgrade

:confused:Ok I'am in a different Boat ,Almost same Question > I installed a HEI Dist - Coil in Cap in my 1987 4.3 OMC Chev > Starts and runs,> Tach works , Red wire to + side of dist. from relay?? Gets Hot ! What did I do wrong ?

Some of you may know better than I......., but I seem to recall that there is a unique angle difference between several cylinders on this engine, and that the separation is not equal.
In a conventional V-6 or V-8 ignition distributor, each cylinder has an equal amount of degrees to be shared for one spark cycle.

Example for V-8: 360* distributor rotation, divided by 8 cylinders = 45* for each cylinder.
45* is then split into dwell and open circuit.
31* dwell, leaves 14* of open circuit.
This Buick 225 ignition system apparently does not do this (again, if memory serves me).

Point being; we still have a theoretical dwell with the electronic conversion, so be very careful that you purchase the correct Hall Effect magnetic inducer for this distributor.... and equally important is that it be phased correctly when installing.

My apologies if I am thinking of another engine.

Last edited:

I agree with Chief. If it's running good ,leave it. One nice thing about points,condenser, rotors and dist caps, It's a heck of a lot cheaper to repair them when you have probs. If you carry some spares with you it's very easy to fix when you're 25 miles off shore and you understand the system.

i prefer points myself but if you must upgrade there is a small electronic moduale you can buy that fits in the same distrib that screws down inplace of your points where to find it i dont know a guy brought his boat to me with the part it was a 2 wire hookup very simple to install the first one i ever seen but once i installed it we put the boat in the pit and started it and it ran good, maybe some of these guys on here know more about it and can tell you where to find it

:confused:Ok I'am in a different Boat ,Almost same Question
I don't see that. should've started a new thread... this one is now a cluster fluke of even fire and oddfire ignition mixups.... Chevy / Buick.... undecipherable now

at the top of the threads page is the button and post a new thread. Your new, no problem.

Welcome aboard i for one will try to help if i can.

Back