Logo

225 honda jet will not perform at altitude

salmonstriper

I have a 2003 honda 225 jet th

I have a 2003 honda 225 jet that will push a boat load of weight at sea level but will not perform at high altitude lakes. Is there a fix for this problem without putting on a lower unit?

"For high elevation operation

"For high elevation operation your carburetors need high altitude jets, do not use them at lower elevations."

"The programmed fuel injection

"The programmed fuel injection indicates it has no carburators. The PFI engine should compensate for the altitude when it comes to air/fuel mixture depending on the altitude as long as the sensors are working properly on the engine. Off the top of my head, I cannot remember if the 225 has one or two sensors that monitor atmospheric pressure. A Honda Dealer could check the reading with their hand held computer (HDS)

I am not sure if there is a maximum altitude.

Is it not getting the same rpm's? If they are lower that normal, it may be an engine (sensor) issue. If the rpm's are higher, it could be my following rationale...

I haven't dealt with jets at altitude but could there be an issue with the thrust of the jet itself in a body of water that has less atmospheric pressure, thus is not as dense. In other words the jet is pushing against "thinner water" then it will not go as fast.
I am really reaching on this one.

You may want to call a Honda Dealer in the area that you are using the boat to get the benefit of their experience in the area.

You can call Honda Customer Relations at (770) 497-6400, and either see if they have an answer or get a phone number of the closest dealer that could address your problem.

The answer may turn out to be very simple."

"Have you gotten any info on t

"Have you gotten any info on this from Honda?

I did find some information about different jetting for running carburated engines at altitude. It appears that there is a definite reduction in power. Since the air in thinner, the jet in the carburator is reduced in size depending on altitude to keep the fuel/air mixture approximately what it is a sea level. If the air is reduced, the fuel has to be reduced to keep the same ratio. Less fuel...less power.
On the 225, the computer would do the same by telling the injectors to deliver less fuel to match the reduction in air. Then...less fuel...less power."

"Mike has explained it well.

"Mike has explained it well.

Your maximum available power at an elevation of 6,000 ft or so will be only 3/4 to 2/3rds of sea level. This is with the proper jets or mixture control, with a sea level mixture, there would be even less power and you would see carbon-black exhaust and spark plugs.

Warmer temperature also reduces air density, Standard Temperature at 6,000 is 38f and at 88f the density at 6,000 will be equal to a Standard Temprature 9,000 ft elevation.

It would need a supercharger/turbocharger to restore sea level power at higher density altitudes."

Back