Logo

AQ125 270 Outdrive Tilt Problem

olddawg

Contributing Member
"Been reading here a lot but t

"Been reading here a lot but this is the first time I need to post. Go easy on me as I am young and delicate.
biggrin.gif

Here's the problem....... Just installed a new tilt motor and relays. On test leads tilt runs up and down no problems. When I go to the dash tilt switch, the tilt will pick the drive up but will not lower it and is blowing the ignition switch fuse.

Do you think the problem is in the tilt switch or in the tilt relays/micro switch. I have tested the ignition switch and it is good."

Got it fixed. Brand new Sierra

Got it fixed. Brand new Sierra relay was bad. Changed it out with one of the old ones I had taken out and presto it works. Amazing!

"Hi I have a AQ125A with 270d

"Hi I have a AQ125A with 270d outdrive, the outdrive drops when I hit a speed bump? How can I fix the problem?
snow.gif
"

"James, you should start a new

"James, you should start a new thread when talking about a new topic.

In your case, it looks like: 1) The lifting device clutch is slipping, and 2) You don't have installed the trailering device.

However, you can secure the outdrive with a rope to an eye in your transom (if installed). I do this, and also use the trailering device."

"Casey,

I have the same en

"Casey,

I have the same engine and outdrive on my boat and I found the trailing bracker for $25 dollars on ebay. It works fantastic, it can never fall out like the original volvo bracket and it can double as a tilt pin. I think there are 25 still available. Ebayer sells them from Arizona i think. Handmade very nice.

However I strongly recommend that you get a trailering bracket, if not your tilt motor will strip gears or damage itself."

"J.C.H, I've looked at the

"J.C.H, I've looked at the bracket on ebay before and considered buying one...is the horizontal pin inside of a sleeve attached to the supports or is the bracket just one solid piece? I'm guessing the former since you say it can be used as a tilt pin as well.

291286.jpg
bracket

"Bob,

That is the identical

"Bob,

That is the identical bracket that I have. Made very well and it is 2 seperate pieces. The horizontal pin slides out of the bracket.I cant say enough about it"

"bob,

sorry didnt answer a

"bob,

sorry didnt answer all of your questions, the support is attached to the bracket not the pin. i use it in the far out transom position as its easier to do with just 1 person when trailering"

"Thanks J.C.H. Is that a cotte

"Thanks J.C.H. Is that a cotter pin on the left end of the horizontal pin? When you launch you remove the cotter pin and then slide the horizontal pin out, correct? I like my OEM bracket but I can see how this one might be better since it cannot come off, but on the other hand you have two pieces and a cotter pin to keep track of."

"The OEM bracket can be a bit

"The OEM bracket can be a bit of a PITA to install and remove until such time you have figured it out, but it works."

"Yes that is a cotter pin, and

"Yes that is a cotter pin, and your correct, to launch i slide the cotter pin out remove the horizontal pin and the bracket comes right out. If i dont use the horizontal pin as the tilt pin i put the horizontal pin back through the bracket and stow it in the boat.that way if a transom pin happens to come out i have an extra in the boat
rofl.gif

also,

it looks as if we do alot of the same kinda boating.both our pictures of our boats were both beached. We beach our boat for the weekend to camp and swim .to leave the beach we just give the boat a shove and let it drift 10 yards offshore, drop the outdrive fire it up and away we go. when we come in i reduce speed to idle bring the outdrive about 3/4 the way up and let it almost coast into shore. i shut it down about 5 yards away from shore.(rear of the boat still in about 3 ft deep at the shoreline"

"Yea, you're right El, it

"Yea, you're right El, it can be a pain. The biggest thing I struggle with is having to lift the leg a little with one arm in order to free the bracket from the reverse pawl while using the other arm to remove one side of the bracket from it's mounting hole.

J.C.H -- Yes, I beach my boat exactly like you do. My pic was taken on Lake Tahoe when I lived there. Now that I live in Sacramento, most of my boating is done in the Sacramento River Delta and we do beach the boat to when the tide is low enough so we can find a little sandy beach. Not as nice as being on Tahoe, but it's still very nice and I don't miss having to navigate through 3-4' swells in a 16' boat on Tahoe when the wind kicks up and you find yourself 10 miles from your launch.
happy.gif
"

"Bob,

i know the feeling of

"Bob,

i know the feeling of the rough water situation lol as my boat is only a 17.5 bowrider. I live right on the Kinzua Dam in Bradford, Pa(yes thats where the zippo lighters are made). It is a man make lake and all it consists of is flood control for Pittsburgh, pa. The contour of the mountains is very steep so wind is no problem there,along with depth(water usually at least 50ft deep everywhere up to about 140 ft deep closer to the dam itself) Very beautiful and quiet. All the mountains around it are Pennsylvania state forest so no houses are allowed to be built. Water quality is pristine and they have designated camp spots. very beautiful"

Back