Logo

Aq130 alternator

glenmoor51

"Hey there,

I'm new to

"Hey there,

I'm new to this forum and have seen some great feedback as well as advice. I have an aq130 that needs a new alternator. I was looking into replacing it with a GM 1 wire alternator if the alignment specs are right. In my eyes I don't see why this would not work. Has anybody done this or offer any thoughts on this conversion?"

"David, many of us use a singl

"David, many of us use a single wire alternator, as is cheaper than OEM brushless alternators. The only drawback is that at idle it may not generate sufficient voltage, but that should not be a problem in most applications.

This has been discussed a few times. Go to the Search function in the forum

http://www.marineengine.com/cgi-bin/discus/search.cgi

type the words <font color=""ff0000"">single</font> <font color=""aa00aa"">wire</font> <font color=""119911"">alternator</font>, select "and" instead of "or" under "Keyword option", then select "Volvo Penta Gas" under "Topic" and do the search so that you can read previous threads regarding this topic."

"Thanks El for directing me to

"Thanks El for directing me to the search. The one wire I was going to put on was an automotive. I now know how dangerous this can be.

I am getting a direct short when I hook the alternator to the starter. To save me a 20 mile drive to get the alternator bench tested, is there anything else I should look at to solve this direct short."

"I am looking at purchasing a

"I am looking at purchasing a delco one wire. I want to hook up radar, gps, radio, electric downriggers, and possibly a few other electronics. I was also considering a second battery.

My question is, what would be the correct amperage size alternator? My choices are 60, 105, or 140."

Back