Logo

OMC 120 Tilt problem

texasmouth

Outdrive will not raise or mov

Outdrive will not raise or move for that matter.

OMC 120 stern drive. Makes a loud clicking noise like you would hear from a dead battery but it has a brand new battery.

Thanks in advance!

"would be nice if you posted a

"would be nice if you posted a year of the drive but i am betting it's a stringer. The one with the half moon gear.

So here goes remove the tilt clutch housing cover.
It has for screws and is located on the port side of the drive. Bet there is water in there.

Nows the part where i post: do you have a manual.
The manual would instruct you on how to remove the guts of the housing and clean it up.

The manual would also show you where the 2 zerk fittings are under the rubber bumpers.

But here a little hint do not over tighten the 4 screws when you re-install the cover, and i would also install 2 shims under the cover. They are not gaskets as some would think because the 0-ring is the seal.

A rebuild kit is available at ebasic. Oh one last thing the book calls for 30 weight oil, pack the housing with grease, trust me that housing will always leak.

Good luck!"

"Thanks for the help!

It is

"Thanks for the help!

It is a 1976 OMC stern drive.

I believe it is a manual trim but I am not exactly sure what the difference is, it may be selectrim.

Is the clutch housing cover the same thing as the tilt unit gear case?"

"I removed the cover and sure

"I removed the cover and sure enough, water poured out of there.

The loud clicking noise is coming from the tilt motor. Is that a different problem or is it clicking because of the guts being filled with water."

"it's clicking cause i bel

"it's clicking cause i believe the clutch's are all rusted up and frozen maybe.

So remove the guts from the housing and soak the clutch pack in gas, or acetone overnight. Then blow dry with compressed air, and then let soak in motor oil for a few more hours and then see if the clutch pack loosened up.

but the first thing is remove the clutch pack from the housing.

and then try the tilt switch. maybe the motor will no be clicking and actually turning."

"Well, I removed the cover, sp

"Well, I removed the cover, sprayed everything out with some carb cleaner and refilled the resevoir and bam....it is working again.

I ended up calling a mobile boat mechanic who came out and took a look at it. The clicking noise is actually coming from one of the solenoid's that control the movement of the motor itself.

Since I am new to owning an older boat like this, I was totally unaware that this is a stringer (stinger?) motor and the entire motor moves for the trim adjustment. The trim is not working but at least I can raise and lower the outdrive now."

"Did you say to pack it with g

"Did you say to pack it with grease only, or pack it with grease and still fill it with oil. I am having the same problem with my outdrive right now"

"guy's here is what i did

"guy's here is what i did with my tilt clutch housing

after i rebuilt it the second time cause of water intrusion i made up a zerk fitting to fit the add oil hole. now every once and a while i just hit it with a few shots of grease.

I did that after i packed the housing with grease, and only grease.

never had problems, maybe 4 years now.

Water can't get in cause of the grease.

Also guys don't forget about the zerk fitting inside the hole halfway up the front of the drive.

Thats a important one also."

Back