Logo

2000 BF90 Overheat Warning Lights

"My overheat warning buzzer/li

"My overheat warning buzzer/light came on today for the first time after the boat was WOT for around 3 - 5 minutes. As soon as the buzzer sounded, the engine idled down to neutral and the buzzer light went away. Shut it down for a bit and then went on my way again and after a few minutes the same thing happened. There is water coming out but it certainly isn't streaming out like my kicker does. The water temp did not seem too hot either coming out of the engine. I can run the boat at 4- 4500 rpm for 10 minutes and there is no alarm - this only happens when it is WOT for a few minutes. I'd say the impeller is on its way out or there is a blockage in the line somewhere - it never has really raced out either but I've never had the alarm sound yet. Just getting some info here first before I decide to take it in for a new impeller and perhaps a new thermostat."

"You're probably right on

"You're probably right on the impeller. But first, pull the screens on the intakes and make sure they are clean and clear. If you do end up changing out the impeller, depending on the hours and use of the engine, consider changing out the whole water pump assembly. They do get worn. Also, if you pull the old impeller, make sure it is intact. It is not unusual for a piece to break off and get sucked into the water lines."

It was just the impeller - the

It was just the impeller - the old one's lobes were somewhat stretched and seemed to bind a bit under load and a new impeller fixed it all. Now the engine pisses like a 1 year old boy who still is not diaper trained.

Back