Logo

Tohatsu 98 Break in Question

krizm200

"Hi Everyone,
I have just pu

"Hi Everyone,
I have just purchased a new 9.8 tohatsu. It is going on a 14 foot aluminum fishing boat, very light. I want to start the break in process this Sunday. I have read through the operating manual 3 times, so I have a good idea about break in procedures. Any advice, things I should look for, issues to be aware of?

This is my first boat and motor. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!! Mark"

"Would 10W-40 be OK? I have C

"Would 10W-40 be OK? I have Castrol GTX High Milage oil, API rated SJ amoung others. If you think it is to thick, I can get the 10W-30. I will change it after the first 10 hours.

Thanks for the help!!!"

"Tohatsu's FAQ section on

"Tohatsu's FAQ section on their website says to use FC-W rated 4-stroke outboard oil, not regular auto oil. I don't want to start another "oil debate", but personally I would use the FC-W rated oil since that's what the mfg. recommends (and it's not much more $$ than regular auto oil).

see question #10 at :
http://www.tohatsu.com/tech_info/faqs.html"

"Interesting that the FAQ shee

"Interesting that the FAQ sheet is different from my owners manual. Owners manual lists any 4 stroke oil with API rating SF, SG, SH, SJ. It also says in my manual to use Octane fuel of 87 minimum is reccommended. The web page says they reccommend 89 or higher. Curious about the differences.

Anyone know where I would find FC-W rated oil?

Thanks for the help!!! I want to break this engine in right. I fly radio control planes, and engine break in is exremely important for performance, so i understand how important it is.

Thanks again!!!"

"When we send out an engine we

"When we send out an engine we almost always enclose a bottle of Tohatsu's 10w-40, FC-W, oil along with it. That's because they don't offer it to us in a 30. We have found that the 30 helps to prevent the fuel dilution that plagues all brands of 4-stroke outboards. So, while the FC-W certification is a plus, I personally feel that it would be better to use a non FC-W 30 rather than a FC-W 40. I don't know of any study that has ever been done one way or the other and I don't think there is an earth shattering difference between the two and this is just my opinion....My opinion today, that is

The post on the website is just current policy, whereas the manual copy was written years ago. Also, FC-W is difficult to obtain overseas and requiring it would pose an unnecessary hardship on third worlders. Hopefully the next printing will have a big "No synthetic oil" line in it as well. You can get FC-W oil at any brand of outboard dealer with the possible exception of Evinrude..."

"Yes...But, at least try to fi

"Yes...But, at least try to find FC-W 30 and use it as a first choice. It will probably cost you an extra $2.00 per year to use it
"

"OK. I was hoping to start br

"OK. I was hoping to start breaking the engine in on Sunday. I know I can get the SAE 10W-30, but not sure about the FC-W. I'll have to see what I can find tomorrow.

Thanks for the help everyone!!!"

"And I found a place close to

"And I found a place close to work that has fc-w 10W-30 4 stroke oil from Yamaha, so i guess I will get a couple of quarts on the way home. Can't wait until Sunday!!!

Thanks again for all your help!!!"

Why no synthetics? I know a f

Why no synthetics? I know a few guys that use AMSOIL in their big bass boat motors w/o any problems. Is this because we are talking 4-stroke vs 2-stroke?

"Mainly because my user manual

"Mainly because my user manual states that the oil should not be synthetic. Honestly, I have no idea why, unless it has to do with viscosity or oil breakdown under higher RPMs. Just a guess, as i am a novice at boating and outboard maintenance."

Fuel dilution into the oil is

Fuel dilution into the oil is the reason. Four-stroke outboard engines tend to run too cool with synthetic oil so the engine has a hard time maintaining operating temperature at low RPMs.

"Actually...Yes. It pisses off

"Actually...Yes. It pisses off people who want to use synthetic oil because they know it is a better lubricant. It just happens that a better lubricant actually contributes to that problem and since you get very little time in between oil changes on an outboard there just isn't any rational reason to use synthetic...I run it in my cars though
"

Back