Logo

Voltage Drop

ian1982

"Not sure if anyone else has e

"Not sure if anyone else has ever run into anything like this, but I have a 1985 Chrysler 318 that I am losing voltage at the starter solenoid. As of right now I have everything but the main battery in cable and the starter power cable disconnected. The small terminal wires are still connected as well. Coming into the solenoid I have a very strong 13.3 volts, with the key turned and the multi meter on the other side there is only 8 volts if that getting through. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? So far I have had the started rebuilt, new coil, new solenoid, new battery cables and mostly new wiring. The guy who rebuilt the starter suggested a relay which I installed with the exact same results. Any help would be great thanks!!!!"

I am picking up the 8 at the s

I am picking up the 8 at the starter side of the solenoid. I was just out playing with it though and found out with a remote start switch that when I have the starter cable disconnected from the solenoid I get 13.6 on both sides of the solenoid. When I had the starter rebuilt they replaced everything but the fields. I am wondering if maybe there is a short in those that is causing voltage to break down under load?

Is the engine cranking and sta

Is the engine cranking and starting OK???

My guess is that the rebuild did not include the contacts on the solenoid switch in the starter and you are getting excessive voltage drop across the switch contacts.
Is that 13.3 that you read with the key turned when its cranking?

"No the engine is cranking ver

"No the engine is cranking very very slowly, not engough to start. Solenoid is a seperate unit which is brand new. The battery side of sol reads a constant 13.3 the starter side reads a constant 7.5-8.2 with the key cranking and relay installed and starter conected. When starter is diconnected get a constant 13.3 both sides. I really think the fields are shorting under load"

"Try another battery. Went thr

"Try another battery. Went through this same nonsense last week on mine--cleaned everything, measured, tighened... It was the battery.

Jeff"

But do they have a full charge

But do they have a full charge: 13.6 volts? THe brand new one I bought needed hours of charging to top off.

Jeff

took both back to the store an

took both back to the store and had em load tested both checked perfect. took starter back to guys who rebuilt it and he is picking up a short now so we'll see what happens. I get that back tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for the help!!! Its huge havin other idea besides your own

"Yeah I actually got a call fr

"Yeah I actually got a call from the guy who rebuilt the starter. The old fields he tried to save me some money by reusing ended up shattering when they got full voltage from all the other new parts around them. I thought I herd a pop the first time I turned the key lol. Its running great now though, again for the advice."

Back