Starter to be Swaped
Reverse Transmission Pump
Propella to LH
Distributor Gear ? I am not sure
Cam Shaft ( Mine is Bad anyway )

Thanks for the Cam Links

George

"Main bearing seals, pistons h

"Main bearing seals, pistons have to go in the other way around ("F" to the front), camshaft, oil pump drive shaft. You can get away with the distributor and circulating pump.

Jeff"

"You didn't say that! It

"You didn't say that! It makes no difference on the pistons, however--the piston offset is backwards on a reverse rotator.

Not sure on the 440 distributor.

Jeff"

"Crankshaft is different, oil

"Crankshaft is different, oil seal knurled area is cut backwards, cam, dist drive gear, starter, fix tranny pump direction, prop, sea water pump orientation.

Dan"

"george,

Are you running Tw

"george,

Are you running Twin Motors, if not i wouldn't let it bother you. My Volvo can run either L or R props just by changing a rod on my outdrive. They both perform equally.

If your planning on twins then thats a different story.

What are you trying to accomplish?"

Single Engine Boat ...

Bad

Single Engine Boat ...

Bad Cam None avalible for reverse rotation 440
engine so Converting to standard rotation
it will save a few bucks from repowering
with a long block ...

"I may have an auto Crankshaft

"I may have an auto Crankshaft so I wont have to change the crankshaft anyway ..
Just Starter, CAM , Prop , Distributor Gear
Tranny Pump , Prop is most expensive I will
need one, no matter what I do .. a Rebuilt
long block RH Rotation costs more
so a LH Standard rotation is better for me"

"George,

Melling should mak

"George,

Melling should make a replacement cam for that or any cam grinder should be able to regrind yours for less than a couple hundred.

http://www.mellingengine.com

Also try Mitchell- they have tons of hard to find marine & industrial 440 parts.

http://www.mmpar.com

It's well worth the call before you give up.

Hope this helps!"

"People are frequently disappo

"People are frequently disappointed when they reverse the direction in a single engine application. The deal is: To counter-act torque steer, it's common that the prop shaft and the rudder are off-set slightly from the boat's centerline. On Century's, for example, the entire engine and prop shaft are angled to Port (or Starboard, I forget) very slightly. So subtle that it’s hard to see. And the rudder is not exactly on the boat’s centerline, too. But it’s intended to counteract the torque that the prop applies to the boat. If you just swap engine direction, you might discover that it pulls to one side pretty hard when you are done. And with an Inboard with cable steering, there is not much you can do to compensate. If it were me, I’d try to find a cam, and keep your boat the way it was from the factory."

"Yes I may have the Cam rebuil

"Yes I may have the Cam rebuilt ..
its a salt water engine with 7 + years on it
so I eventually will have to repower it to a
440 long block its the least expensive
LH Rotation. as for the Shaft and Rudder
the Shaft and rudder is centered ..
The shaft was offset , but I bent the strut on a rock now its centered with the engine and hull .
it was offset so as to remove the shaft with out
removing the rudder and visibly about 2 inches
now its centered after the repairs ..
foward dirrection is fine , turning Left or right
is not as accuract as it was .. limited on one side ..reverse will always Suck on a Single Screw
boat .."

"Many of the Industrial 413s u

"Many of the Industrial 413s used a gear drive with only two gears, no idler and a rev rotation cam.
Why can't a Ind gear drive, reg cam and oil pump drive be used in a rev rot 440 with the firing order reversed?
std 18436572
rev 12756348

There would be no need to
-reverse the .030 pistons with .030 pin offset
-change crank to one with std main seal knurling
-buy a new cam and oil pump drive
-reverse trans pump
-buy a new prop
-buy a std drive starter
BTW, there is no dist gear, end of the shaft is slotted

If you do go a std rot motor, it would be easier to buy a auto 440 core and rebuild it, they can be found for $300-$500."

"The truck gear drive has been

"The truck gear drive has been tried and doesn't work. Seems that only 4 of the cylinders wind up with proper valve timing. I would talk to the Isky cam people, as a recent ad in a hot rod mag stated that they could rebuild about anything with a useable core. I would certainly stay with the rev. rotation motor. Good luck."

Back