Logo

2006 15 hp Nissan leaking oil from the through prop exahust

teeitup007

"Hey all, looking to buy a min

"Hey all, looking to buy a mint condition '06 15 horse engine that has been barely used. My concern is that there is some type of clean oil coming out of the through prop exhaust when I saw it for the first time on a motor stand today. It must have been leaking very slowly for a while as there was a half dollar size puddle under the prop and the engine hadn't moved for a few days. The owner said it was on its side (the correct side) last week while on his boat. I checked the dipstick and it was over the max full line by a touch. I haven't started it yet but the owner said it will start right up and that he just had it running last week. Should I be concerned or should I look for something when I do get a chance to start it up this week or should I just avoid it all together? Thanks in advance."

what does oil do to an engine

what does oil do to an engine if it gets into the cylinders and makes its way through the exhaust? will it burn off or...? also shouldn't the engine be drained of oil a little? also I have been reading while waiting for a reply to this about some horror stories that involve seals and rings and lower units and expensive fixes etc.... oh and this is a 4 stroke engine if that changes anything.

Your making this uncomplicated

Your making this uncomplicated oil drip into a problem. Just assume that nothing is wrong at this point or take it into a dealer and have them check it out.

Took the motor out today and r

Took the motor out today and ran it. Ran fine slow and fast. It had a huge white cloud of smoke when I first started it up. My question now is that the through prop exhaust was leaking milky colored oil when we pulled it out. The dipstick had clean oil and the drive oil was clean too. Sound normal based on the situation. And how long will that Last if it is normal?

"It depends. In your first pos

"It depends. In your first post you said the oil was clean. In this last one you said it's milky, so.....

If it was engine oil from being carried incorrectly, the oil drip from the ehaust wil peter out overa use or two. If it is gear oil(usually milky) coming out you will need to pressure test the lower unit to find the leak."

The oil was amber color yester

The oil was amber color yesterday which tells me it was motor oil. I drained a bit of gear lube out as well to check it and it was clean with a green tint to it. Not milky at all so I am guessing motor oil.

"I think were back to it not b

"I think were back to it not being a problem again
The engine oil drips down the inside of the motor leg where water helps silence the engine noise. Chances are that's where the milky part came from."

Back