Logo

Sea King 99 HP Starting Problems

david_will

"I bought a boat/motor combo o

"I bought a boat/motor combo off Craigs List. The engine is a 1980 9.9 HP Sea King by Chrylser. The seller started it right up on first pull in a tank of water. I had same success at home. However, turns out that it often won't start at all, including the other day when I became stranded on the lake. Seems like after it sits for a few hours it will start. I think I notice that it possibly floods easily. Became convinced that I should never squeeze the tank bulb or choke the engine. Have cleaned the plugs twice (they seem to "foul" quickly). Am using 50:1 mixture. Would like to get into guts of the engine. How do you pull the flywheel? Bottom line is it seems to often start right up and run fine, and then you can't start it to save your life. Thoughts, anyone? Thanks."

"Only Chrysler has you support

"Only Chrysler has you support(not pry) the flywheel at the power head with a wedge lined up with the key way. Then hit the crank with a big hammer gently- the key is "gently" I duct tape a steel bearing to the crank so you don't screw up the threads. You can "low tech" test the condensors by connecting them tab to ground, wire to (+) of a 12 vt battery and wait 10 sec. disconnected -then touch wire to can for a good spark.

Clean and set points to .020.

Your "no start" sounds like a gas tank vent or other similar "fuel supply" problem- These guys flooded at the drop of a hat, so you might try idle mixture adjustment. I figured out "to much fuel" problems by dis-connecting the fuel line for a re-start. If it starts, you might have hole in fuel pump, or sticky float. If not- then fuel supply problem.

Treat the "pop-up" starter like eggs- they were delicate to say the least. Pull to engauge starter then give it a jerk to start.

You might take a spark plug out to see if it is running black. If just one is black, is probably the fuel pump."

"William,

Thanks for the ad

"William,

Thanks for the advice. The plugs do seem to run a little black. Also, since you replied above, the pop-up starter (starter pinion?) did break. A bit of plastic broke off where the pin is supposed to hold firm on it. Not sure what to do about this. Is such a part still available? One thing. After the latest episode of not being able to start it, I took the engine off the boat and held it upside down. Maybe a cup of fuel ran out. Put it back on the boat and it immediately started. Broke the pop-up starter soon after that. Just curious, are all these old engines like this? That is, when you get them running they're pretty sweet, but there's always something to frustrate you?"

"Don't know if that starte

"Don't know if that starter is available. This motor had a small "puddle trap" system on the right side of the motor. It had 2 brass pellets pressed into it which were one way valves. This would send un burned fuel to the opposit cylinder. If they were plugged up, they would sometimes gather fuel into the crank and cause a rich running that was hard to get rid of. Till you find a new starter gear, everybody just cut the rope off and tied a knot in the end. Used the flywheel starter like the good old days- don't let the knot hit you or any body looking over your shoulder.

They did run super till they quit. They changed the name to "Force" because the "force" had to be with you. They took many opportunities to screw with you, then they would leave you alone for a year or more."

Back