Logo

1999 Honda BF75A Stearing tension inop

lltvdoug

"My motor will not stay in the

"My motor will not stay in the center position,(for trailering) regardless of how tight I set the adjustment knob. Is the stearing rod supposed to be greasy? This one is. Im using a transom saver also. I'm running a 1999 Crestliner 1750 tiller. Just bought it.
Any help?"

Moving the transom saver from

Moving the transom saver from the narrow edge of the lower unit downward to the rounded area on the gear housing keeps the motor from flopping side to side.

"The steering rod should be gr

"The steering rod should be greased when it is installed into the tilt tube. The o ring inside the friction block is greased before it is installed. The friction block itself is not greased.

If it is not helping to offset the steering torque when the motor is running, cleaning the friction block and steering rod with brake clean may help. Unfortunately, it you don't keep some grease on the steering rod inside the tilt tube, it will rust and lock up.

If the friction block is worn, it may be time to replace it. I do not know if it is strong enough to hold the motor when it is tilted up. Have not seen any of these lately.

Bungees are good...bungees are cheap!"

"I'm trying the "Lock-

"I'm trying the "Lock-n-Haul". Sometimes the best solutions are too easy. This little set of tubes holds the motor from any movement, up,down, side to side. I've read the pro's & con's of transom savers and I'm not sold on it yet, but its impressive. I will monitor it closely. Thanks hondadude for the advice on friction block.}"

"I too have a Honda 75 tiller

"I too have a Honda 75 tiller and have experienced the same problem: motor will not stay centered when trailering using a transom support. I've tried two different transom supports; EzLoader and Swivel Eze. Neither one held the motor securely. I had an idea and drilled a 1/8" hole on either side of the motor in the tension tube and inserted a spring clip. A bad idea, the tension tube was designed to provide steering tension not hold the motor in place at two points. It bent as did the connecting arm."

Back