Logo

Block tester works great

jeffsboat

Contributing Member
"Still looking for my lack of

"Still looking for my lack of rpms above 3000. Thought I may have a block or head crack, but thanks to a $40 block tester kit from NAPA (checks for Co2 gas in the heat exchanger) my engine is good. I now will be focusing on fuel delivery and distributor advance. I am now feeling better about finding the problem. I think I will check the plugs and then swap carbs next trip to the boat. Thanks for all the help these last few months.
Jeff"

"Jeff,

Those block testers

"Jeff,

Those block testers from NAPA are awesome,i've used them for years....close to 20yrs working in a radiator shop.

They cut out a lot of guesswork. Easy to use,just put some die in and squeeze the bulb...

An excellent professionals tool!"

"Jeff - good to hear you'r

"Jeff - good to hear you're closing in on the problem (or at least crossing off bigger-picture problems). When focusing on advance, keep in mind that the baseline timing specs outlined in the manual are just that. Not unlike carb tuning people often find that straying slightly away from factory specs gives them performance that does a better job in their particular application. Just consider that someone who bought a Century Arabian ski boat (also had 440 as an option) was probably handed the same engine manual that came with your boat. What's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander. Never know....maybe your your pre-rebuild timing/advance had, at some point, been dailed away from "spec" to better fit the boat.

Also, regarding the fuel system check-up, here's some decent reading re: ethanol. A quick google search will give you more than you can handle.

http://www.boatinglife.com/article_content.jsp?ID=44482"

"I'm sorry Jeff but I, whe

"I'm sorry Jeff but I, when I responded to your post, I was thinking that you were Don....who's been fighting a similar problem. That said, my post may not have been applicable to your situation."

Back