Logo

OMC 140 Prop question

sccheech9

"Hello, new here

I was wond

"Hello, new here

I was wondering if anyone knew the stock prop on a 1975 OMC 140. I have a Wellcraft 16.5' Airslot if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!"

"thats prop is held on by a pi

"thats prop is held on by a pin, start with a 15 pitch. but i wouldn't be surprised if you try a 17 and a 19. you need to turn between 4200-4600 rpm no more speed doesn't matter do not allow a wot over 4600."

"Well right now I have to set

"Well right now I have to set the idle at 900 rpms because when I kick it into gear it will drop about 400 rpms. If I set it to the correct idle of 500, the engine cuts off. So I was thinking that it may have the wrong prop size on it.

Thank You"

"so do a full tune up and rebu

"so do a full tune up and rebuild the carb and then post if the problem aint fixed, and bye the way one day shifting at 900 rpm kiss your dog and gears goodbye."

"so do a full tune up and rebu

"so do a full tune up and rebuild the carb and then post if the problem aint fixed, and bye the way one day shifting at 900 rpm kiss your dog and gears goodbye."

"what consists of a full tune-

"what consists of a full tune-up? I can buy a carb rebuild for $30, so I think I will buy one tommorow.

Thank You"

"points, cap, rotor, wires, pl

"points, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, fuel filters.
When was it last done?
Also inspect and lubricate advance mechanism of distributor while changing points.
Have you cleaned your flame arrester lately?"

"Not sure when it was last don

"Not sure when it was last done, The boat was sitting in the guys yard for 5 years, so I imagine not in a while. I took the distributor cap off and it all looks really clean. All the contacts are still really shiny. I changed all the plugs out 2 days ago. I checked and they are all getting spark. Flame arrestor looks good. It runs the same with and without the flame arrestor on."

Back