Logo

Chrysler 360 Gas in the exhaust water

brandoon

"I have gasoline in the raw wa

"I have gasoline in the raw water exhaust of my chrysler 360. The engine idles and runs at higher rpms fine and is not running roughly. The engine overheated about 6 weeks ago, but is now running at the proper temperature. Is this a cylinder not firing? What should I check?"

I just saw this post and I have the exact same problem in addition to stalling at idle when the engine is hot, Does anyone know the answer ?

Possibly a head gasket. Check compression and see if it's low on one or more cyl's. Its possible the head warped when it over heated, and caused the head gasket to blow. My 440 would run fine, maybe just a little rough idle, and it had a blown head gasket. The other thing to try while it's running, is to pull one plug wire off at a time. If you fine one that does not affect how it idles, that one may not be firing.

Do the plug wire removal test first and, if all 8 are firing (I'll bet one is not), then do a compression test.

Jeff

Have you actually done the wire test described above, or are you just assuming that "all eight are firing?"

I had only SIX cylinders running on one of my engines yet it started normally, sounded okay (though I wasn't listening well enough), and planned right off. Marine engines, thanks to their rigid mounts and distant exhaust outlets, can trick you.

That one slightly low cylinder should not be a problem.

Jeff

If you operate your boat in the Gulf of Mexico, having trace amounts of petroleum products in your raw water exhaust is expected. Oil, methane, dispersants like "Corexit" and other hydrocarbons will be comming in via the intake, and leaving via the exhaust. At least, for a few more years.....

I have carbs on the mind....so do you think a flooding carb would do this? My engine would run fine also and I did get a small amount of fuel through the exhaust...my old carters were flooding like crazy! Do you have a strong smell of fuel after a run?

Good points by all. Used to think only carb and dead cylinder would cause that, seems we have to add the Gulf to the equation too.

Back