Logo

2001 Nissan 18hp 4stroke Impeller question

emstew77

"Lately I have been noticing a

"Lately I have been noticing a decrease in water flow from the outlet. I always flush the motor using muffs after each trip, and I checked for any blockages. It sounds to me like it's time to order the water pump rebuild kit.

I guess my question is how ofter should the waterpump/impeller rebuild take place, and is the procedure listed in the service manual?

This is my first Nissan / Tohatsu motor that I ever owned, and I have to say I am very impressed. Overall the motor has been running great. I completely tore down and cleaned the carb and the rest of the fuel system. The only component that I had to replace recently was the coil pack which I picked up from Guru's place.

Thanks for any advice,

Eric"

We used to tell people once a

We used to tell people once a year on a U.S. built engine and every two years on Jap engines. Now we say to do it when the pee stream is as weak as a 45 year old with prostate trouble.

"I think the owner's manua

"I think the owner's manual suggests replacing it every 2 years. But there really isn't any specific way of knowing since it really depends on how much use you put on your motor. Impellers will wear out over time (usage) so if you put 200 hours on a motor or 30 hours a year it's going to make a difference. Heck some people go 10 years without changing it...others do it every year as part of their routine maintenance.

Since it easy enough to do (and pretty inexpensive if you do it yourself), I say do it every year. It's one of those things that always fails at the worst possible moment. So IMO, better to do it once a year and be safe instead of sitting at the marina with a bunch of cold beer wishing the dang thing was pumping water instead of making steam.
lame.gif

and yes, the service manual will give the procedure for doing it."

"Thanks Guys,

It's neve

"Thanks Guys,

It's never been replaced, (and may be having prostrate trouble
wink.gif
),so now is as good of time as any...like TGuy says, nothing will ruin a day faster than motor troubles.

Thanks Again!

Eric"

"I have a new Tohatsu 6 HP ext

"I have a new Tohatsu 6 HP extra long shaft which I believe has a couple of problems: One is that, occasionally, the impeller stops (no water coming out) when the motor is idling. The second problem is that the motor seems to change speed on its own. Any suggestions? Please."

Thanks for the reply Guru. Any

Thanks for the reply Guru. Any guesses though on what is happening? Timing needs adjustment? Carburetor? What else? Baddly serviced before delivery?
Thanks again.

"The timing isn't adjustab

"The timing isn't adjustable so that's out. Other than adding oil to the engine there is no servicing so that's out, which leaves...Everything else

Surging can fuel or electrical, but its almost certainly due to trash in the carburetor. The telltale on the water pump can be anything from a real problem to a partial clog of the pee indicator."

Back