Logo

Trolling low idle with BF200HP

justin_elia

Just wondering if anyone has a

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on long periods of idling for this engine? Have heard different things from different people. Thinking about getting a kicker. Put about 50 hours of low idle per year.

"By long idle periods, do you

"By long idle periods, do you mean long periods of slow trolling, or just idling without gear engaged?

Sounds like you are trolling - if so, over time you will likely have a build-up of carbon and gunk on pistons & valves. It's best to interspace your trolling with some long runs at WOT - that should keep them clean. If that is not possible, consider putting an additive in your gas that is specifically designed to clean out carbon deposits."

"I usually troll for no more t

"I usually troll for no more than 6 hours at a time. When I am done, I usually run it full throttle, at least for a few minutes. What type of additive would you recommend? Seafoam?"

"Justin - you need to do two t

"Justin - you need to do two things - minimize carbon build up and keep the gas in good condition. For carbon build up, many around here on the Chesapeake swear by Sea Foam. Good alternatives are Yamalube Ring Free Fuel Additive and Mercury QuicKleen. I think the Sea Foam is cheaper. However, you should still use a fuel stabilizer like Stabil Marine or ValvTect additive to handle the ethanol problems, unless you use ValvTect treated gas. Fortunately, we now have a marina in our area that sells ValvTect gas at a slightly higher price compared to regular 89 Octane at the other marinas. They claim this gas is ethanol free. Not sure I believe that, but I do believe in the benefits of ValvTect blended gas, with or without ethanol. Still, be sure to run that engine at WOT whenever feasible - that breaks up and blows out a lot of the build-up."

"if you troll a ton, no synthe

"if you troll a ton, no synthetic oil first

next is the last 15 mins of day run it hard"

Back