Logo

440 Oil Leak

marotti

"I have noticed a good amount

"I have noticed a good amount on oil in the bilge. Looking at the motor I saw some seeping from one of the valve covers doesn't look serious, check around the oil filter and housing, no leaks. What's the easiest way to track an oil leak? any input appreciated, thanks!

any common areas for leaks, rear main? oil pan?"

Mine leaked a lot and it was t

Mine leaked a lot and it was the oil pan gaskets. Try to tighten them first. You will need a long extension and swivel on a socket set. Try putting clean oil absorbing pads under the motors after a good cleaning with engine de-greaser. This will help identify the drip locations.

"I'd re-tighten the valve

"I'd re-tighten the valve cover bolts first, for that might be your problem. Common leak source.

Jeff"

"Thanks Guys, I'll try thi

"Thanks Guys, I'll try this stuff this weekend. Really itching to take the boat off the mooring and get cruising."

"Well this turned into the wor

"Well this turned into the worst job I've ever done, well I didn't do it, I bribed a buddy to. We changed out the v/c's to the high performance rubber soaked ones, very easy. Noticed silicon valley on the oil pan, got all the bolts off and prepped both the windage tray and oil pan with the motor in the boat. NEVER DO THIS, well at least on a silverton. It took about 7 hours to get this far. Pain in the XXX. Hopefully by tonight I'll be able to fire up the beast."

Back