Logo

Honda 225 losing RPMs

slopoke

"My 225 runs fine at low speed

"My 225 runs fine at low speeds, but above 2-3000 RPMs it surges..cuts in and out. Gets more violent with more throttle. Have tried cleaning fuel filters, checked 10 micron water separater between fuel tank and motor (clean), and fuel lines look OK. Any suggestions? At a complete loss here.
Thanks for the help."

Likely either your VST or a cl

Likely either your VST or a clogged high pressure filter/screen. Drain the VST and pull the high pressure filter and clean.

"VST = Vapor separator tank. I

"VST = Vapor separator tank. It's the small tank that the gas line goes into before the HP filter. I'm traveling, so do not have shop manual with me. Typically the VST has a small plastic tube coming out of it that is designed to go into a container. Right next to the base where the tube comes out, there is a small set screw. Opening the set screw allows the pressure in the VST to push out the fuel/water that has accumulated in the bottom of vapor separator tank. BE VERY CAREFUL to not unscrew the set screw too far - it's a major pain to get back in.

Back to your original problem...
1. Are you sure your fuel tank is breathing properly? Loosen the fuel tank filler, and see if that helps. If so, your tank breather line is clogged.
2. When engine starts to cut out/miss, check the fuel pump-up bulb and see if it is going flat - if so, either the fuel pick up in the tank is clogged, or the check valve in the bulb is stuck.
3. Bypass the fuel line at the low pressure filter with a clear plastic line, run the engine until it starts cutting out and observe if there are any air bubbles coming through.
4. If all that fails, you will need to get the engine to a Honda dealer and have him plug in the HDS to determine what error codes are being put out by the ECM. It's possible that your ECM is failing."

"W. D.,
I had already run a 6

"W. D.,
I had already run a 6 gallon tank to eliminate any problems with the fuel tank, and also ran GumOut thru the engine to clean the injectors but nothing had changed when I took it for a test ride. I then tried loosening the screw on the high speed fuel filter but I couldn't do it, despite spraying PB blaster and tapping with a screwdriver. I then took it for a ride, and the problem appeared to be solved. I think perhaps something was stuck in the high speed fuel pump that got knocked out when I was trying to loosen the screw. I've run the motor for several hours now, and everything is fine. In any case, thank you very much for your time and help, it was greatly appreciated."

"Bo - Interesting. Glad you go

"Bo - Interesting. Glad you got it fixed. However, it's pretty difficult to get something stuck in the HP pump. Let us know if the problem returns."

"It's been 3 days now, and

"It's been 3 days now, and I've put about 25 miles on the motor yesterday, and several Sat and today: so far, so good. Again, thanks for your help. I'll let you know if the problem returns."

Back