Logo

Trobleshooting CC 1953 KLC120 engine

• Thread starter Royston Lightfoot
  • Start date
R

Royston Lightfoot

" This engine will run flawles

" This engine will run flawlessly, then occasionally it will idle but not accelarate. It acts like it isn't getting gas, but the (electric) fuel pump is operating, no trash or water in gas. I have dissassembled the carb. and it is clean. Is this a carb problem or could it be electrical (coil or wire?)
Also, what do you think about converting to electronic ignition? "

"Does the problem happen after

"Does the problem happen after running at speed for awhile? Then if you let the engine cool down for an hour, does the problem go away? If so, it could be carb icing. I'm pretty sure Pertronix makes a unit to fit your KLC's distributor. They're excellent units - worth every dime!

Try Retro Rockets at this link: http://www.vintageperformance.com/retrorockets

If you don't see your model, email Carl Dudash c/o that site.

"

" I have just put it on the tr

" I have just put it on the trailer when it has happened, then messed with it another day. What is carb icing? Is there a way to check for it besides waiting an hour?

I just got a Petronix to try out.
Thanks. Royston "

" Royston,

You could also v

" Royston,

You could also verfiy that your electric fuel pump is doing the job by installing a temporary "T" and a pressure gauge in the fuel line between the pump and the carburetor. If you have a Bendix (or Faucet) fuel pump you should be getting a reading of about 4 lbs.

Good luck.

Regards,
Gil Plumb "

"Good advice on the fuel pump.

"Good advice on the fuel pump. Carb icing is when moist air condenses and freezes inside the venturi of the carb. It's caused by the low pressure in the venturi and can happen even in warm weather. The ice acts like a choke, permitting idling but not high rpm's. If you shut the engine down, the ice eventually melts and things go back to normal.

I think your KLC's carb is an updraft, so you could remove the flame arrestor and see if any water drips out with the engine stopped after the problem occurs. Or (don't laugh!) take a hair dryer and blow it into the carb intake for a few minutes with the engine idling, then see if the engine will rev up.

"

Back