Logo

318 issue

"All,

I got the boat back t

"All,

I got the boat back together and took it out for a combined 50 miles this weekend. Here is what has been done:

New manifolds, elbows, plugs, wires, and both fuel and water sep filters.

I had the boat out today with 4 people, full on gas and water. I was crusing at about 1800k at 10knts. When I pushed them I got 3900 rpm out of starboard and only 3400 out of port. Engine sync was not in sync. Running for only a short time WOT I was only running 17 knts. How big of a factor are the trim tabs as I havent fixed those yet? The carbs are new, fuel lines are new, and all the filters have been changed twice. Any ideas on what to check? If she is just heavy and that is that. But I want to make sure they are running good.

31' Silverton with Twin 318s V drive.

Scott"

"I have a 34'silverton twi

"I have a 34'silverton twin 360s cruising at 2800rpms I get 15knots,wondering if your bow came down I do need the tabs to get down these are heavy boats Id get those tabs going and give it a ride you were most likely just pushing around water...???"

"Scott,
I have a 1977 31'

"Scott,
I have a 1977 31' Silverton with trim tabs (no sync). Fully loaded (fuel, water, two people, beer) I am on plane at approx. 2300 RPMs with the trim tabs level. If I am running 'light' I start to come up on plane around 2100 RPMs.

When I bought the boat in Fed. 2008 I tested the engines with a light load (1/2 fuel, 1/2 water, two people, NO BEER!) WOT was 4200 RPMs.

Since I have owned the boat I don't think we've ever run it above 75 % power (3000+ rpm). Then again we aren't usually in a hurry. Infact, our normal 'cruise' is 1900 - 2100 RPM. While not quite on plane our fuel burn is somewhere around 8 gallons per hour. Less money for gas = more money for beer... I say!"

Back