Logo

86 M60A will not go into forward gear

temple1975

"I have trouble shot this down

"I have trouble shot this down to the shift shaft. The shaft will go down and engage reverse, go up a little and go into netutral, but the shaft will not go high enough to engage forward. One of the two plastic pieces that holds the rod where the cables attach broke because the shaft wont budge. I am in the process of ordering a service manual but was wondering if anyone had seen this issue before."

"Drop the lower unit and open

"Drop the lower unit and open it up....But, here's the heart breaker. No lower unit parts are available for your model engine due to its age, sooooooooo, unless its something minor, the engine is going to be a loss."

"Yeah I figured that. Bought t

"Yeah I figured that. Bought the whole rig for 1,000. Took it on about 12 trips caught my first two snook so I realy can't complain. Still keeping my fingers crossed or maybe there is a used lower out there somewhere. Thanks Again"

She's shot. I removed the

She's shot. I removed the lower unit and could get the shaft to go up and engage. If I turned the drive shaft the prop would spin but if you put your foot against the prop it had no resistance. If I put it in reverse it was fine. So The carbs on the unit are almost brand new less than 2 years old and maybe 15 hours. Are they worth anything. Is there a market for these parts? I can post pictures if needed.

Back