Logo

23 litre ford cobra bogging down

yahoo50

"I have read posts that is sim

"I have read posts that is simular to my problem but not quite the same.
i have an 88 VIP w/the 2.3 ford / cobra, i have WOT , i have hole shot, motor idles fine and runs fine. After i plane out and run for about 5 mins the motor bogs down, i pull it back to nuetral and let it idle i can take off again and each time i do this it gets worse. but the longer i let it idle the longer i can run before it bogs down again.When it bogs down i can leave my throttle where it is and the motor tries to pick back up but quickly bogs down.i have replaced cap,rotor,points,condenser,wires,plugs,timing belt,(preventative)fuel/water filter, impeller.coil does not get hot and water temp is ok, 175dg.i have ruled out the AS valve,and vent hose is clear. Carb was kitted 3 years ago The boat ran fine last year. i went from champion to NGK plugs. Thanks for any Help!"

Have you cleaned the flame arr

Have you cleaned the flame arrester?
Try running with bilge blower on in case the fuel line is vapour locking.
Coil breaking down when it heats up is another idea.

"Yes, Cleaned The Flame Arrest

"Yes, Cleaned The Flame Arrester W/ Soap and water let dry Very Well. The fuel line looks good. I thought about changing any way. I also thought about changing coil too. and going back to the champion plugs that were in it. process of elimination can get expensive quick. Thanks Hy. If you have another idea please let me know.
Ernie"

PROBLEM SOLVED! During My trou

PROBLEM SOLVED! During My troubleshooting i Tryed to remove the fuel pick up tube from my fuel tank (which is in the floor) and it did not budge So.. for fear of cracking the tank i did not proceed. i just replaced the whole floor and carpeting 3 years ago. and cleaned tank very good while i had it out for i could not find another tank. But... i had to reseal the sending unit with black silicone. well.. after 2 days and a half of a can of WD40 soaking on the fitting it finally broke free!!! and to my amazement when i blew thru the fitting a BIG glob of black silicone fell on the floor!So i was also wondering about the screen. Mine has a screen at the top of the tube where the fitting is. my question is this where the screen is supposed to be or did the screen get sucked up to the top of the tube? im sure the black silicone nightmare is not over but i sure hope so.and also can anyone tell me what kind of guage or meter you need to calabrate your tach and how a person can perform this task. I LOVE THIS WEB SITE AND FORUM!! And I appreciate all who perticipate especially all of you experienced PROFESSIONALS!!!Thanks to everyone because i have solved alot of problems using this site without having to even post anything!
Ernie Easley

"Usually the screen is at the

"Usually the screen is at the bottom of the pick up tube, never heard of one getting sucked up the tube though? For the tack, try using a portable hand held (or shop tack) and see how far your dash one is off."

Have you checked all the cylin

Have you checked all the cylinders for water? Mine had similar symtoms and it turned out to be a possible cracked block or head. Big problem!

Back