Logo

For Kenny Grubb 23 liter timeing

wmlaks

Regular Contributor
The 2.3 liter is a belt driven

The 2.3 liter is a belt driven engine and with what yours is doing it is either jumping time on the timeing belt or the dist. gear is turning on the dist. shaft. when I posted this problem earlier this month I was given the advice from Mr. Bob Hill that he remembered a case where the drive gear pin had sheared but there was just enough of a burr to hold the dist. in time until the engine came under load and then the gear would slip alittle. this may be a good place for you to look if the timing belt and tensioners all check out to be OK. Hope this helps you out. Michael

"That is what I will check tod

"That is what I will check today. I do appreciate your help. I thought it had a belt but I'm not a mechanic either. I appreciate your help, sorry for jumping in on that other guys thread for I'm new. Kenny"

"Well, The gear and pin "a

"Well, The gear and pin "appeared" to have no wear or damage. What do you think about the crank moving 23dgrs before the button moved on the dist.? And if I'm going to have to replace that belt does anyone have a link or web site they know of that could explain to me on how that's done? And could I swap that out to an electronic ignition or is that alot of trouble?"

"I suspect your timing belt is

"I suspect your timing belt is missing some teeth.20 year old rubber belt should probably be changed anyways, but I think it's pretty easy to inspect the belt by removing a cover and bumping the engine over on the starter a few times.
2.3 Ford is not an interference engine so no worry of valves hitting pistons like some Volvo penta motors."

"Well, took the cover off and

"Well, took the cover off and did what you said. There weren't any teeth missing. I think that belt may have been replaced because it didn't look 20 yrs. old. Can't get it started at all now, backfires through the exhaust. If I pull the #1 plug out and bump the motor until the piston is all the way up, where does the button need to be pointing at, the #1 piston? or can I turn the crank until it is TC then put the dist. in and would the button need to be pointed at the #1 piston?"

#1 TDC but make sure it is on

#1 TDC but make sure it is on the compression stroke (both valves closed). Hold a finger on the spark plug hole while bumping it up and you should feel pressure. Rotor should point to the #1 plug wire on the dist cap.

"when i put the dist. back in,

"when i put the dist. back in, does the button need to point to #1 piston or just #1 on the dist. and is the firing order 1342...don't remember it's been so long?"

Back