Logo

Looking for opinions on Yamaha 4028 jet pump

phillies78

"I'm about to buy my 1st j

"I'm about to buy my 1st jet and I'm looking for some reviews on the Yamaha 40/28 jet. Its on a '95 basstracker PF-16. I don't know much about jet pumps and don't want to waste $5K so i welcome and appreciate all comments and feedback. Thanks, Bob"

"The 40/28 indicates you are u

"The 40/28 indicates you are using a 40 horse powerhead to give you the equivalent of 28 shaft horsepower.

That's not exactly how it works because a jet is really measured in thrust (not horsepower), but that's a comparison that most can understand.

A jet outboard is a very "inefficient" motor - so you are burning the gas a 40 would, but getting less performance than a 30.

If you absolutely need a jet because you are running in super shallow water, that's the price you have to pay.

But if you don't need it, yes, they seem like a "cool" motor, but the performance really sucks compared to a conventional outboard - guys with a 25 horse on the same rig will give you a run for your money.

This isn't a super heavy boat for being a 16 footer, and I believe 40 may have been the max rating for it. A regular 40 would make it fly, the jet may be a little disappointing, depending how you use the boat."

"Thanks for your reply Graham.

"Thanks for your reply Graham. I should have phrased my inquiry differently. I am aware of all drawbacks and the loss of horsepower that jet pumps have compared to props. I fish the Susquehanna River in PA alot. In the summer it gets too shallow to access alot of my "hot spots". I want a jet for it's sole purpose...running in shallow water. I'm considering the purchase of the afforementioned tracker w/ 40/28 Yamaha, so...is it a good motor? Any opinions on the motor and/or on the setup(Basstracker 16PF w/ 40/28 jet Yam)are appreciated."

"The motor is great. Yamaha bu

"The motor is great. Yamaha builds more outboards than all the other mfgs combined, and every one of their motors is engineered by them - they don't cobble together parts from other mfgs and call it a motor.

The boat is "ok". I have an acquaintance that does warranty work for Tracker. His comment about them is "you get what you pay for".

Any way you look at, Tracker is somewhat of a "budget" line. I'm not saying they are no good, just that they are not of similar quality to some of the other popular names - but that's why they sell at significant discounts compared to their competition.

Compare the price of a Tracker package and a Lund package (similar boats, with the same motor) - yes, in the case of Lund some of the premium is simply because of the name, but the rest in the choice/quality of the materials used to build it.

And yes, Tracker has a great hull warranty - that does you absolutely no good if you boat is spending the summer at a "authorized repair facility" in line with 50 others that need to be welded or riveted.

They are an OK boat, but I think if Force motors were still being produced, you would find them hangin' on the back of tracker boat packages..."

"Thanks Graham! Specifically,

"Thanks Graham! Specifically, it's a 95' used Basstracker(obviously outside the warranty) w/ 2000 Yam(newer trailer, 30 thrust trolling motor, fishfinder, etc...) and appears to have been well maintained. In your opinion, is it worth $5K."

"Yep, that sounds like a decen

"Yep, that sounds like a decent deal. The motor is worth more than half that price, add in the cost for a trailer - you are getting the boat pretty cheap.

Don't get me wrong, they are very functional boats and there is lot's of them out there. There are just not up near the "top of the charts" - but hey, Bayliner is the same way in their class of boats, and there is probably more of them on the water than any 4 or 5 other brands combined."

"Graham, thanks again for your

"Graham, thanks again for your input and also sharing your knowledge. A Custom Snyder for 15K would be great but I think this Tracker boat will be more than adequate for where I'll be fishing. I'm gonna buy it Monday. If you ever plan on traveling through southcentral PA drop me a line ahead of time...I'll take ya fish'n for smallies, walleye and musky in the Susquehanna River!"

"I may take you up on that Bob

"I may take you up on that Bob

but does sound like a fair deal - the motor alone retailed for almost 6K brand new - and it's a Yami - you will probably tranfer it over to your next boat when you get it...

Good luck with it - add to this link after you take her out a time or two - give an opinion for others considering a Yami Jet - Jet's in general are not super popular and it would be nice to have some "first hand" opinions posted on the board..."

"...will do. I know jets aren&

"...will do. I know jets aren't popular with the mainstream, however, they do have their unique marine niche...they get to where others can't. A diehard river fisherman needs an aluminum hull and jet! I grew up with with Chevy trucks and Evinrude motors...aside from Yami making a good dirtbike, I didn't know squat about their motors. Thanks again for your insight. You're a smart dude!"

"Graham, as promised, I'm

"Graham, as promised, I'm posting my review on the 40/28 Yami Jet Pump. I absolutely love it! I picked it up last Friday and have fished the river 10 times leading up to today...I even take it out before work! Runs great and is perfect for navigating the shallow waters of the Susquehanna. My friends and even my Dad have been impressed with the Yami jet's capabilities. Love it!"

Back