Logo

Honda 90AY Oil amp Temp Lamps

garygc01

The Oil light does not come on

The Oil light does not come on when the ignition is turned to on. If I remove the wire from the sensor and short the Alarm goes of (not loud enough to hear if running) but the temp light does not lite. Does the Lamp Module go bad? How can I check it if I remove?

Help! I have a Honda 90AY and

Help! I have a Honda 90AY and the Oil & Temp Lights do not come on. The manual says the Oil light should light when you turn on the switch. It does not.
If I short the Temp(red)wire at the sensor to ground. Nothing happens with switch on. There is continunity for the red wire to the switch. Checked the sensor and it open and will close when heated. The buzzer works when given 12 volts.

The engine runs fine.

The wiring diagram shows one side of the buzzer going to the ignition control module. can this be where my problem is? Hope not the module is $500 bucks.

"The oil light only comes on w

"The oil light only comes on when the engine is running and the oil is at proper height. The overheat only comes on in an overheat situation with the engine running. Just turning on the key, you will hear and see nothing.

It appears that a ground on the yellow lead from the oil pressure switch should light it, if it has 12v going to the light with just the key on.

The overheat light also should light with a ground applied to the red lead on the sensor. The horn will only sound if that is done and the engine is running. It may also have to be a certain rpm for the horn to sound. Just can not remember the rpm.

The lights could go bad. There are several different light arrangements. Check the back of your owners manual for a circuit diagram to double check the wiring."

"Mike,
Thank you for your re

"Mike,
Thank you for your response. I did not realize the engine had to be running. When I checked the temp (red wire)to ground with the engine running the horn did go off. The light appears to be very very dim. Certainly not bright enough to see if you do not cup hands around and reduce all stray light. The oil light does not come on when grounded. The yellow wire is grounded through the sensor. I checked the temp sensor and it does go to ground slightly above boiling water temp.
I am back to thinking it is the lamp module. Do you think I might as well spend the $100 bucks for a new module?"

"Is the lamp module the one th

"Is the lamp module the one that is square about 1 1/4" by 1 1/4"?

It may be the module, but before spending $100 at little more testing may be in order.

There may be an issue with the wiring harness. Go directly to the connector on the back of the module and apply the same ground. If the lights do not work properly with a direct ground, then the module probably needs to be replaced. If they do light, then the first two places to check is the main wiring harness connector on the engine - pull it apart and check the pins, then reseat...and the bullet connector on the engine coupler connector. It is under the black plastic cover on the port side of the engine. They should be one of the connectors near the top of all the wires.

Let me do a test a work in the next couple of days to be sure there isn't something else you need to do to make the lights work."

"Ok...hers's the deal. I

"Ok...hers's the deal. I was wrong when I said earlier that the green light should light when you ground the yellow lead. The green light actually turns on when the ground is removed.

The oil pressure switch is essentially at ground when the engine is not running. The ground goes away when the engine is running and there is oil pressure.

If you do a test at the lamp module, you should have a ground on the black lead and positive 12v on the black/yellow lead when you turn on your key switch.

If you turn on the key switch and disconnect the yellow lead to the light module, the oil pressure light should come on. If it lights, reconnect everything and go back to the oil pressure sensor and remove that lead to be sure everything is ok from there.

If it does not, double check the overheat light by putting a ground on the red lead. If the red light comes on, then your module is probably bad.

If your still not sure, I am sure your local Honda Dealer would test it if you took the module in. We normally test these things for free as long as we don't have to climb up into the boat and deal with no/low batteries etc.

The test is on page 17-27 of the BF75A-BF90A shop manual.

I did this test on a module today and it took two minutes.

Sorry for the inaccurate information in the previous replies."

Back