Logo

Am I Overheating

bvd

"Boys, I took my boat out last

"Boys, I took my boat out last night, 360 with 300 leg, and ran her with the family (the wife, me and three kids) for about 30 minutes steady between 25 and 30 mph. Ran beauty.

Came into dock and then turned around twice to check holeshot and she pulled/accelerated nicely on both occasions.

After parking, I checked engine compartment and she seemed pretty warm. Cast exhangers on the side were hot to the touch.

I didn't feel elbows and no steam was emanating from engine. Also my temp gauge never indicated excessive heat but, hey, its an old gauge.

I want to pull boat out and flush/check stuff.

What say you?

Thanks, Bill"

"My cast iron exhaust manifold

"My cast iron exhaust manifolds are hot to the touch also.

You can put your hand on them but it is uncomfortable to leave it there, they always have been like that for the 31 years that I've had her & I expect it always will be.

When I start the engine I watch the temp gauge rise to about 180-190, the the thermostat opens, & the gauge falls to above 150, and hangs there.

318 / 195 hp, 300 power leg. Raw (lake) water cooled.

Fred 156-M"

"Thanks Fred, 360 - 265 hp, 30

"Thanks Fred, 360 - 265 hp, 300 Stern drive, lake water cooled as well.

My gauge is graduated w/o numbers. I should install something with numbers.

Thanks again, Fred,

Bill"

"Here I go again!

Buy an

"Here I go again!

Buy an infrared temp gun and stop guessing as to what temperatures are present. You might save yourself a fortune!

Jeff

PS: No, I do not get a kick back from the infrared temp gun manuiacturers!"

"Hey boys, bought a gun last n

"Hey boys, bought a gun last night at NAPA. 79 bucks (Cdn.) That's a 1.99 U.S. Thanks Fastjeff, works beauty. Cool night, half an hour ski, 180F on the exhaust manifold and 120F on the elbows. Good numbers, eh?

Any where else a must to check?

Bill"

Freshwater Fred. What is the d

Freshwater Fred. What is the dogs' tong? Is that the end or base of the Y pipes? Frederick Pel

Back