Logo

Fuel problems

joe3208

"I have a 1985 185 hp Johnson.

"I have a 1985 185 hp Johnson. I recently disconnected the oil injection hose from the VRO with the expert help of this site. I now mix my gas and have burned 80 gallons with no problems. In fact it's never run better since i've had it. The other day it started up and ran fine until i tried to accelerate. It got up and then quickly died out ( bogged down). I checked the ball and it got firm and then soft ( didn't collapse )after i started the motor. Seemed normal to me. Tried it a few more times and it did the same thing. I loosened my gas fill cap and it got up and went. I tightened the cap and ran ok for 15 to 20 minutes until i shut it off. When i started it it did it again but not as bad. I pushed the choke in and it accelerated but top speed is about 800rpm's less than what it would do. It will do 4200now and i know it was doing 5000rpm's before. Anyway it ran ok for the next couple of hours except wanted to bog down a little when i first gave it GAS but would get up and plane. By the way when this first happened i went back to the dock, inspected the filter under the cowl and replaced the 10micron fuel and water seperator mounted on my transom with a new one. I don't know if the VRO / fuel pump is acting up or maybe a fuel line. I inspected the hose and didn't see any leakage. The carbuerators were just rebuil and all of the hoses under the cowl are new. Any help/ideas would be appreciated.
Joe"

the breather hole or vent clog

the breather hole or vent clogged up in the cap on the tank? Just had that very same problem on my 70 hp evinrude.

Back