Logo

Shift adjustment 1973 inline six

vintage

Contributing Member
"I noticed on my 1973 inline t

"I noticed on my 1973 inline that after installing the outdrive that it takes a little more than "nuetral" to get it out of reverse. When shifting out of reverse I have to go past nuetral into the "forward" position a little ways to actually hit nuetral from reverse. I did not unhook or mess with any of the shifting cables when I removed the out drive. Just put it in forward position and removed the drive and put it back on when I was done. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eric"

"Thanks, it looks pretty strai

"Thanks, it looks pretty straight forward and easy to understand. I will tackle it this week end.

Eric"

"So I did the adjustment and w

"So I did the adjustment and what I have is better because in comes out of reverse completely when the control lever at the drivers seat is in the neutral position. Good. My only question is, after I take in out of gear(engine running with a water attached)I hear a "tinking sound". The prop is just doing the little lazy spin and if you grab it, it stops and you don't "feel" the tinking through the prop. I know if it were under water you would not hear it at all. Is this normal? It may have been doing this forever and I just never paid attention to it.....any ideas?

Thanks,
Eric"

"If I have the lower cable whe

"If I have the lower cable where I think it's good or close, I'll temporarily remove the shift cable from the shifter handle(at the engine side) put the lower cable in neutral so the drive is in neutral and not clicking, then adjust the barrel for the shifter handle cable

I then put in forward, turn the Prop CCW and make sure it locks, then turn CW and make sure it has a strong (but not excessively strong) click. then put and reverse and do the opposite. If the click/rachets isn't as strong I move the lower cable 1-2 turns and check F & R and N again.

CW = clockwise
CCW = counter-clockwise"

Back