Logo

30 Merc w Alpha 1

boatsrcool

"1999 Bayliner Capri. 3.0 Merc

"1999 Bayliner Capri. 3.0 Merc w/alpha one. Hey guys I'm looking for a few suggestions before I get the tools out and hands greasy. My issue, while in the water, when I move throttle control forward swiftly the boat will begin it's forward movement, then pretty much looses momentum. The engine will rev while we just don't gain any speed. It'll surge as if it wants to go but it just doesn't. The strange part is, for the first couple hours on the lake everything operates normally, it's after a few hours it'll begin operating this. I'm assuming it's the plastic prop hub, but when I lift the drive and grab ahold and turn (in gear) it's locked on there nicely. (engine off of course) I pulled the prop off and the hub out, and the black paint on the inner part of the prop is gone as if the hub was free spinning. But, I can't get it to free spin by hand. Could it still be the hub? I haven't done much more investigation then that. I don't think it's the coupling. When I turn by hand, I can even get the motor to turn with it. Other then that everything works perfectly. O/D oil is full and clean."

Your turning the prop by hand

Your turning the prop by hand is not the same torque provided by the engine; try another prop hub.

Back