Logo

TAMD 41A Smoking a lot

frode

"Hi, I have a 41a that is smok

"Hi, I have a 41a that is smoking a lot. It started to smoke during last summer. Overhauled the top during winter (valves/seats) and changed all seals. Cleaned the intercooler and changed all filters. Had the diesel pump in for calibration. All diesel injectors were changed last year. The motor has been tested both with and without the exhaust valve in the rizer. Only the turbo left now i guess? Any other ideas?
Its a lot of grey smoke when its cold and when the turbo kick in its comming a lot of black smoke???"

All filters have been changed.

All filters have been changed. Compression test on cylinders have been done. all good. Valve clearence have been double checked.

"Double check the pump timing

"Double check the pump timing advance. It only takes one degree miss (late) at installation, and smoking stats getting bad."

Checked the pump timing as wel

Checked the pump timing as well. It was ok. Still smoking a lot. Any other suggestions?

"You have to look at what may

"You have to look at what may cause excessive smoke.
Too little air - compared to too much fuel:
Check turbo pressure.
Too low temp on engine?
Too late injection timing? This is a 'tricky' one, as it may not always be enough by using the Volvo Pin tool into the fly-wheel. A double check has to be done on the pump itself in a bench that it injects at the correct time! Those pumps are known to wear down the cam element giving late timing.
Overfeeding pump? Pump has to be set in bench as well as smoke limiter has to be calibrated with turbo pressure. To get it right, it might be a tedious job and may need a skilled operator to do it.
When setting the pump, did you get the log with reference to the specified setting from for the pump?"

"I will check the turbo pressu

"I will check the turbo pressure later today. Will it have to be checked at full speed??
As mentioned, the pump has been calibrated at a bosch workshop. Dont know which log you talking about? The engine temp is low when its cold offcourse, but normal when its warm. (about 82degrees) Its mostly when its cold that concerns me, when its warm its not smoking that much. One thing I discovered today was that the engine oil was werry black in colour. Is that normal when i havent used the boat more than a few hours since I changed oil? Only maybe 10 hours."

""One thing I discovered t

""One thing I discovered today was that the engine oil was werry black in colour. Is that normal when i havent used the boat more than a few hours since I changed oil? Only maybe 10 hours."

It's impossible to get all the old oil out so if the old oil was black, it will color the new oil. That happened to me.

I suppose if you changed the oil every ten hours or so for a while you would eventually get most of the old oil out but that could get expensive."

"A proper Bosh shop should wri

"A proper Bosh shop should write down on a report sheet pump settings before and after adjustments are done, in other words: creating a 'log'. This may then be compared to the recommended pump settings. Too often I have seen the setting to be at 'max' in order to obtain top power, but with an 'old' engine that might result in what You are experiencing. And getting black smoke before engine reaches operating temp is almost normal, at least on the Volvo's.
As for engine oil, I think to remember that Your engine takes about 12 liter according to spec. You will be lucky to manage to pump out more than 8. One+ in the filter, and the rest in oil-cooler and elsewhere around. It may take quite some changes to get 'clear' oil even after 1 hour run after change! A simple trick to keep check of how 'contaminated' your oil gets is by weighing the oil filter. Take a new filter and fill it with clean oil, then compare it next time You change. The more contamination caught by the filter, the heavier it gets."

"The engine was emptied for oi

"The engine was emptied for oil thrue the drain plug wile hanging in a crane. The oil-cooler was emptied as i had thisone off as well during overhaul of the engine this winter. So, it was not much oil left in that engine.
Anyway, the smoke is more grey than black when starting up.
Diesel pump has been adjusted down a lot. Earlier rpm on full speed was 4200 while its 3800 now."

"'Diesel pump has been adj

"'Diesel pump has been adjusted down a lot. Earlier rpm on full speed was 4200 while its 3800 now.'

This indicates that someone has done some serious tampering with the pump before. No way it goes like that by itself. (I take it You are talking about 'under load'?)
However if you are talking unloaded, the the old setting is correct, almost."

"When you get your turbo press

"When you get your turbo pressure meter hooked up, you should obtain about .8 - 1.0 bar at 2600RPM. This should be the rpm where you clearly hear the turbo kick in, and normally around the planning threshold. The closer you get to .8 - the more smoke.
But be sure you have engine temp up before testing."

"had about 0.4-0.5 when i gave

"had about 0.4-0.5 when i gave full speed and passing 2600rpm. While running steady on 2600rpm I had about 0.5-0.6. On full speed I had 1.1.
It was werry slow from 2000rpm and up to max rpm. Max rpm was 3600 and not 3800 as I stated earlier. (Bad memory or bad eyes)
It was werry black smoke around the rpm where the turbo kicked in. (Around 3600)
Can a broken turbo affect the smoking on low rpm???
Rpm un-loaded was 4200. Guess that is one good thing
"

"My guess, it is time for a tu

"My guess, it is time for a turbo overhaul!
However redo the test with engine hatch open and no air-filter installed, just to eliminate lack of air access."

The hatch has been open during

The hatch has been open during testing and I have tested several times without air-filter. So I guess I need to overhaul the turbo then.
Any ideas where I can get a change turbo in south norway??

Back