Logo

Omc sterndrive model number

searay1973

i have a 1973 searay with a 16

i have a 1973 searay with a 165 hp. 250 chevy engine with a omc sterndrive outdrive. where can i find the serial/model number for the outdrive unit. thanks.

I might be wrong but chances a

I might be wrong but chances are you wont. You might want to look a some pics and determine what drive it is. ie electric? hydro or full mech 400/800

it is an electric shift unit.

it is an electric shift unit. i did some research and found it should be on top of the lower unit. is it on a metal tag or inscribed. i dont see any numbers in the area.

"You have a similar model year

"You have a similar model year to mine. The picture below is my serial/model# plate location. Mine was missing. All that was left were the rivet studs. Please take note though that it was attached to the upper gear case. My outdrive is white now and much nicer looking!
happy.gif

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r282/Lyndy_photo/OMC/OutDrive/seria-model-plate.jpg""

david no way he has what you h

david no way he has what you have without looking at the whole drive and just the pic you posted i can tell you have tru course steering so that alone would be after 79'. If i say a side pic of your whole drive david i could tell if it's full mechanical shift or hydro-mechanical shift.

No way is the original posters drive anywhere what you have.

"chiefalen,

Your good, but

"chiefalen,

Your good, but not perfect. Tru-coarse was available before 1979. And yes my drive is an electric shift. If Tony post pictures of his drive you will probably see I am more right than "No Way" wrong.
wink.gif
"

"ok here it is straight from t

"ok here it is straight from the manual. 1964-1977 electric shift. tru course steering 1978 up.

so 1973 as the original poster has, he don't have tru course steering, he has that bar that comes out the side and is moved bye a similar system as a outboard.

OMC stern drives 1964-86 repair manual 3400 SELOC
page 10-1 first paragraph. page 10-59 explains the steering.

and yes i was wrong in a way and you were right in a way, so i hope you feel better i know i do.

And guess what guys i threw away 2 electric shift drives that had that bar. Maybe i could have sold them."

"hi guys, i glad you settled y

"hi guys, i glad you settled your argument, but however i still dont know where to find the model number, please help"

"Hi Tony,

Regardless of wha

"Hi Tony,

Regardless of what Chiefalen and I are discussing, your model/serial number is still in the location I mentioned which is on the starboard side of your upper gear case. Can you post photo's of your outdrive?

As for you Chiefalan, quoting out of a Seloc Manual? I have OEM manuals for 73-75 (because that is the year possibilities of the drive I have) and tru-coarse steering is listed in all three of them along with rack and pinion. In addition, the diagrams and part#'s on the BRP Site bear out the same info.

What did change in 1978 I can list with 2 words, "Whole Bunch"."

<< And guess what guys

<< And guess what guys i threw away 2 electric shift drives that had that bar. Maybe i could have sold them.>>

I think I'm going to throw up.......

Main change in 78 was the chan

Main change in 78 was the change from electrical shift to mechanical. Easiest to identify from the outside 'look' is the 'though hub exhaust'.

"ill have some pics posted in

"ill have some pics posted in a day or two. david, im new to all of this.i checked in the spot you had located and i dont see anything. is this an id tag? or stamped in the housing. this was my dads boat, he bought it brand new in '73. searay srv 190. the lower unit was rebuit years ago. the boat has been out of the water since '97. im sure it will need a going through. thanks"

"Tony,

Below is a tag of an

"Tony,

Below is a tag of an upper gear case that I found on the web some time ago while I was also trying to ID my drive. It will at least show you what it looks like. I have heard more than once that OMC matched their engines to a drive and the identification was stamped on the Engine. You did not say that the engine was an OMC, but a chevy. I had the same problem because the original OMC engine on my boat had been replaced with a Mercruiser engine. Hence I have never been able to ID the outdrive precisely. But with the aid of a lot of pictures and using the BRP site I have come to the realization that my drive is an accumulation of several model years. That is why I purchased three OEM model year manuals. Also, I have included a link to the Sterndrive section of brp.com. It lists all drive years and individual models and horesepower of the OMC Powerplants and outdrives. Even if you locate the proper information for your drive, you will find the site quite useful.

Oh, by the way, welcome to MarineEngine.Com Forum!
uhoh.gif

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r282/Lyndy_photo/OMC/OutDrive/f6af_1-1.jpg"

BRP Website, OMC Diagrams:

http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=64379112ff582dd7c9a2e34ea9056b1c

Using the pull down menu, select "Sterndrive""

Hi guys no argument here. I ha

Hi guys no argument here. I have a 1976 - OMC 190 hp with tru course steering in a 1976 21 ft slickcraft daycrusier which I have owned since new. The serial plate is located has David's picture indicates and the model number is 981061.
Do you guys know where I can purchase the specific gear oil for the electric outdrives ? I believe it is type C. And do any you know if the outdrive can be replaced with a manual outdrive with a cable system? John

"i think you would need to buy

"i think you would need to buy the intermediate with the manual shift drive. and i would recommend the full mechanical shift model after 82' and the upper gear case would have to be a correct.

The cheapest way maybe is to get a junk boat with a good drive and transfer over, the intermediate the shift converter and the cable."

Back