Logo

57 alpha 2000rpm max under load

dream_wet

"1988 270 hp alpha 19 pitch re

"1988 270 hp alpha 19 pitch rev4 chaparral 2300 5000lb. up until this weekend everything did ok for a 20 yr rig. never push it hard, cruise @ 3000rpm only. sat. throttled up normally, until it hit 2k. that was it, just plow. in neutrel will spin up to 4500 with ease. idle ok. back at home pulled plugs. 1&2 are nice soft brown 3&4 a little darker 5&6 dark brown and 7&8 are black. not wet or oil just black. while still in the water i changed the water seperater and found nothing outstanding. also @ that time i pulled top from arrester and nailed throttle in neutrel very fast, rear butterflies would open.hull clean,nothing waterlogged, sorry for long post, trying to be informative. thanks in advance for any help. R. Mock"

check to make sure the timing

check to make sure the timing advance is working. TB-IV advance is in the module.

"It never overheated, just sto

"It never overheated, just stopped moving in the water @ 2,000 RPM's? Yes? Try another prop."

"never overheated, did not sto

"never overheated, did not stop moving,just plowed ( not on plane and not @ an idle)ran up to 2k @ normal rate. not the prop tried another. thanks"

"Take a look at the optic trig

"Take a look at the optic trigger sensor ($50)underneath the rotor. If it is rusted then the fine wires to the connector are corroded/cracked and will cause a drop in RPMs from vibrations, even kill the engine, yet allow it to restart.

Also look closely at the wiring/plug for corrosion."

"Update: everything looked ok

"Update: everything looked ok inside the dist. before i hooked up timing light i thought about doing compression ck.# 1@155 2@160 3@158 4@160 5@155 7@155 8@160. these were cold&dry cks. OH!!! did i forget to mention that #6 was @0. called it a night. BUMMER. any thoughts greatly appreciated"

Update #2 upon further cks i f

Update #2 upon further cks i found my #s wrong. here is corrected 1-155 2-160 3-160 4-160 5-155 6-10 7-185 8-10. still bummed

going out to boathouse now aft

going out to boathouse now after 11hr day and 1/4lb w/cheese to start tear down.will update asap.THANKS for yalls input. R

update 3 head gasket for sure

update 3 head gasket for sure!!. right between 6&8 about 1" below the broken head bolt. any suggestions on how to remove? about 3/4 inch is above the block THANKS R.

they make stud removers - any

they make stud removers - any good auto parts store should have one - don't get one w/ 'made in china'!

Grind small flat sides on it t

Grind small flat sides on it to tightly fit a box wrench on it and slip a 2' piece of conduit over the wrench for leverage. Spray a little PB Blaster around the base the night before.

came home @ lunch & starte

came home @ lunch & started the stud removal. 5/64 hole first then a couple of sizes larger then next size OH DAMN BROKE bit. getting ready to go back out to boat house to continue this saga. did i mention that we head to st george island tomorrow for a week of r&r in the sun. sure hope i can resolve this stud issue before we go. will update progress as it happens R.

ENLARGED HOLE IN STUD TO 5/16

ENLARGED HOLE IN STUD TO 5/16 LEFT HAND. THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO BREAK EZ OUT. CAN GO ANOTHER SIZE OR 2 LARGER THEN CHASE THREADS. HOLE APPEARS TO BE DEAD CENTER.WILL UPDATE IN A WEEK. SORRY ABOUT THE caps. R.

"back from r&r. what a dra

"back from r&r. what a drag. finished pilot holes with 3/8 bit which is what 7/16-14 tap calls for.looking in hole can see threads in real good shape. not perfect by no means.chased all other holes first then troubled hole. DAMNED, broke tap with not much torque. able to back all of broken piece out pretty easy. bought new tap @ lunch and gave it a try. same results, broke. after cleaning 2nd one out i tried an old head bolt. 2 complete turns before it is @ 50lbs of torque. any suggestions??? thanks R."

take one of the bolts and hack

take one of the bolts and hack saw three slots perpindicular to the threads. oil the living crap out of it and try to turn it to chase the threads.

Sounds like there is still some of the original bolt in there.

Are you using a three fluted tap or a four fluted?

Also make sure you are using s starter tap not a bottoming tap (long taper for a starter vs blunt end for a bottoming)

one had 3 the other @ lunch to

one had 3 the other @ lunch today from fastenal was a 4. each a long taper. will look REAL close for any remaining burrs. thanks for reply R.

"If you have the proper hole s

"If you have the proper hole size drilled pb blaster over night start your tap only 1/8 turn at a time back it off then turn 1.8 again work it slowafter a few turns back it off clean hole with air and continue to tap slow,youll get it..
tap all your other holes as well to clean out and see how far the head bolts are to go.."

FINALLY!!! tapped. pretty loos

FINALLY!!! tapped. pretty loose though. must have dinged more threads than i thought. any pointers??? thanks R.

just brought head home @ lunch

just brought head home @ lunch tried installing with a couple of bolts (no gasket) seemed to torque to about 50lb ok. question is; head bolts are pre-coated w/sealent. should i use loctite in addition? thanks G. R.

It it were me I would helicoil

It it were me I would helicoil it.

Get the specific size and redrill for heliciol and retap for helicoil and when I install the helicoil I would mix some JB weld and coat the female threads with it and then screw in the helicoil. Once the Hcoil is in as far as it needs to be and the tab is broken off (by you) then I would carefully thread in and out a screw (one you will not use) A few times during the curing and make sure the threads are clean and let the JB weld set over night (24 hrs)

come back the next day and recheck threads to make sure the screw will screw in correctly.

If it all works out then you will have a good repair.

The other alternitive would be to drill and tap a larger hole for a 2 size larger thread and MAKE a threaded insert out of a larger screw and RED loctite it in place. It would all depend on how much metal is around the hole to this repair.

just my suggestions.

"You may want to consider a ti

"You may want to consider a timesert - they were designed with the head bolt problem in mind.

You may also want to consider using a stud - may be a bit more work but you should have to worry about it again, once it is installed."

"UPDATE sorry about the long t

"UPDATE sorry about the long time lapse. password issues. Mark, time sert is an AWSOME product. worked great. thanks to all who were kind enough to help me through a routine project that turned difficult. have done several days on the water with good results. i have some other questions that i'll post later. thanks again to all. R. Mock"

Back