Logo

1999 Yamaha 90 HP Carburated Fuel Delivery Problem

joegilmore

"I have a 1999 Yamaha CLTLRY t

"I have a 1999 Yamaha CLTLRY two stroke outboard that is not getting any fuel to the carburetors. The story begins with salt water getting into the fuel through the vent during a water skiing outing several months ago. Towboat US towed us back to the dock. After draining all of the fuel from the tank, then re-filling with fresh fuel, the motor would only start and run in the "enriched" mode, and although it ran OK at low RPM's, it ran very poorly at higher RPM's. Thinking that the plugs may be fouled, I replaced them. I also replaced the fuel filter/water seperator and cleaned the plastic fuel filter on the motor. At this point, the motor does not start at all, although when I spray starting fluid in the carbs it cranks up immediately and runs until the starting fluid dissipates. I have pulled off the fuel delivery hoses at each linkage and pulled fuel through using a hand pump and there seems to be no blockages. I also cranked the motor and checked for fuel flow coming from the fuel pump and got a steady pulse of fuel (although I did not have a pressure guage attached). The Clymer manual shows that there is a "Electrothermal valve" in the system (and I can clearly see it) but it gives no information as to what temp it operates at, what voltages are involved, if it is open or closed "at rest", etc. It seems that this valve may be blocking the fuel flow from the supply lines to the carbs. Any information that you can give me regarding this situation would be much appreciated. It was a 94 degree Sunday today in Charleston, SC and it would have been great to have been skiing and tubing instead of working on the boat sweating in the garage.
Thanks,
Joe"

"An update to my previous post

"An update to my previous post.......I was checking on various sites to find the replacement cost for the so-called "electrothermal valve" and the parts blowups name this particular device as a "starter assembly". No, it isn't part of the starter, it is physically attached to the center one of the three carbs. Sounds like it may definitely be the problem.
Once again, any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe"

"same exact motor as mine. sou

"same exact motor as mine. sounds like some of the salt water contaminated fuel has plugged your carbs. remove 10MM brass hex drain plug from each carb and see what drains out onto a clean white rag. you may have to have the carbs cleaned. that "electro-thermal valve" on the middle carb is just the choke and probably not an issue. the Yamaha boat shop can clean your carbs for you, unless you want to try and do them yourself. Good Luck!"

Back