Logo

70hp chrysler

rayk

"My motor was running perfectl

"My motor was running perfectly (1972 70hp chrysler), I got water in my fuel system. I am confident that I have gotten all the water out of my system. Removed and cleaned carbs., treated fuel and system with seafoam, replaced all gas. Now motor starts then immediately dies, very suddenly. Motor will idol as long as bottom cylinder wire is disconnected and now I have what appears to be lower unit oil coming out of the pee hole. All cylinders fire and appear to be gettin fuel, i am stumped any ideas."

Have you been able to get it u

Have you been able to get it up to speed for any length of time? Really sounds like accumulated water in the crankcase is killing the ignition. Have you checked for water on the spark plugs? There is no rational reason it should not run.
"Lower oil out the hole" is just unburned gas cause it is running so badly.

Didn't cross and plug wires did you? Easy to do.

"It has been my goal to get th

"It has been my goal to get the motor out on the lake and open it up, but i cannot get it to run well enough to even get it off the trailer. Is there any way to flush the crank case without removing the lower unit. The other thing I was thinking is a possible exhaust obstruction on the bottom cylinder, maybe a dirt dobber."

"You might want to switch spar

"You might want to switch spark plugs.

And put it on the muffs for and hour and see if you can dry it out that way.

If you can get it to about 1500 rpm and slap your hand over the offending carb, you might get it to vacuum the crud out of that carb.

They had a vigorious puddle trap system that transferred unburt fuel from poor running cylinders to good one, this might take some time to clear."

"Hi, Tim here. Could you do 2

"Hi, Tim here. Could you do 2 cranking compression tests with a fully charged battery? Do the first test with spark plugs out and the second test with spark plugs in. Please post results and we may have your answer. Thanx"

"Turns out i switched the bott

"Turns out i switched the bottom two spark plug wires. Wouldn't have thought to check that without your suggestions, embarrassed to have to admit it. Motor is running great, I need to make a minor adjustment to carbs., it stumbles at low revs. Should I lean the mixture or advance the idle?"

Back