Logo

Overheating

newman

88 3.0 liter runs 140 degrees

88 3.0 liter runs 140 degrees at idle but when you get on it and go it run up to 190+ pump was just done overheated at idle during warm up before any ideas? boat is in water

old impeller come out with all

old impeller come out with all vanes?

mis-assembly of the water tube when the pump was changed?

"Circulating pump, thermostat

"Circulating pump, thermostat or narrowed exhaust manifol/elbow water passages; hot water can't get out fast enough."

[b]pump was just done overheat

pump was just done overheated at idle during warm up before any ideas?

Guy's last item - exhaust elbow

"Overheating 1978 228, I'v

"Overheating 1978 228, I've got my first boat '78 20' slickcraft, took it out once ran great temp stayed right around 150, hit rocks, oof, tore up the lower drive, my brother had one on his boat he let me have, 898 I think, (305 with less hp than mine, like 190hp)same year, put it on, fit great put it in the water runs great, BUT, now its overheating, at idle ir runs @165 degrees, wot it shoots right up to 200.. Can someone help?"

"Is the impeller in the lower

"Is the impeller in the lower unit? if so is it a tough fix? I'm a so-so mechanic, but have NO boat experience.. And I believe I replaced the whole outdrive, I'm still learning my boating termanology. I pulled off one whole unit from the gimble (?) housing down. Thanks for the help guys."

"separate lower unit from uppe

"separate lower unit from upper housing. plug oil passage. Impeller sits inside the white plastic housing, on the vertical shaft, on the top of the lower unit. Buy the whole kit, not just the impeller. get a service manual from the library or buy one - it should be able to fill in the details."

"Thanks Mako, I'll do that

"Thanks Mako, I'll do that, I don't spose you know of a link so I can see now what I'm in for? (10:30pm)"

Just fitted a mates prop to my

Just fitted a mates prop to my mercruiser 3ltr with alpha 1 leg 21 p engine over heats at certian revs very quickly then just as quick goes back to normal temp took his prop off and put my origanel back on and temp is fine any ideas ?

"Keith,

you may have better

"Keith,

you may have better luck by clicking on the Mercruiser Forum and then click "start new discussion" for your problem. But since you mentioned it, what was your RPM at WOT??? Depending on the size of your boat a 21p prop is prob too much for that little motor to turn hense it overheats. Engine is over-loaded with that prop making the temp. sky rocket. Just my 1st guess!!"

Back