Logo

New boat Owner needs help

salt_fever

I just purchased a 1984 Sea Ra

I just purchased a 1984 Sea Ray which has a OMC 5.7L (GM) engine and a OMC stearn drive. Can anyone tell me what type of fluid and how much is needed in the stearn drive and how to check and fill the strearn drive? Thanks

"There is 3 places that take d

"There is 3 places that take drive oil.

I use the cheapest 80-90 weight gear oil out of wal-mart. You want to use any marine gear oil, merc stern drive gear oil is the very best and costs the most.

Looking at the drive from the rear on the right side, starboard side is 4 plugs, and the top is a plug that is a dipstick and breather, and the big round plug in the intermediate.

Ok first i would recommend you buy a manual i have a seloc, 3400 in the right hand corner.

the very bottom plug on the right and the one about 8-10 inch's above it is for the lower pull both plugs, and the lower will drain.

When you want to add oil after it drains fully pump from the lower plug till you see oil come out of the top plug, allow all the air to come out and then pump a little more and install the top plug and then the lower plug, use new plastick washers that home depot or any jhonson dealer or merc dealer will have.

Then do the same for the next plug that is the upper. it will fill from the bottom but oil will come out the very top of the drive.

The the intermediate plug is located a bit further up that is the drain plug, pull it and let drain i fill that one from the top, It takes about 8 ounces, the intermediate."

Back