Logo

Mph gauge failure

draven620

Regular Contributor
i was just wondering my boat w

i was just wondering my boat was beached while we where swimmining and the mph sender got plugged with dirt so the gauge wouldnt read.i took the tube off the sender and blew through it and the gauge went up i unplugged the gauge and put the tube back on and blew through the sender and the gauge went up went back on the river and no gauge movement any ideas.

"did you check to see if the P

"did you check to see if the Pitot was in the down position ? If it was, blow into it again from the pitot end and have someone watch the gauge if you can't"

yep it was in the down positio

yep it was in the down position and if i blow into the pilot the hauge goes up but very little with a full blow it only goes up to 5 mph so i think there might be a blockage somewhere between the pilot and the gauge so im gonna pull it off the gauge and blow water through the hose.

Blow compressed air through it

Blow compressed air through it from the gauge end. If you use water then follow it w/compressed air or water will settle in a low spot and cause a blockage and freeze/split the hose in the winter. The hose is probably pinched along the way at a bend. They are cheap; replace it.

well i shot wster through it a

well i shot wster through it and no blockage and gauge went up took it to the wster and it didnt register anything no mater how fast i went any suggestions is the pilot tube shot and if so where can i find one on here it is in the down position so i am at a loss

"This is

pitot tube, hose,

"This is

pitot tube, hose, guage.

do not use water use compressed air and remove hose from pitot tube and put blow gun into hose and press lever to allow air to blow into tube.

Keep pressure low so as to make needle on guage peg beyond its limits. If needle moves high enough to show avarage speed when driving the boat normally guage is good.

If not check hose.

Next remove hose from guage and pitot tube. Plug end at guage. insert air blow gun into pitot tube end and fill with air. Pinch off tubing near blow gun end. Listen for air leaks!

How old is the boat?? replace the hose if over ten years old. As said you may have a leak or a pinch.

If no leaks are heard replace pitot pickup. If the pitot tube is good and the hose is good replace the guage......."

well when i pulled the hose of

well when i pulled the hose off the pilot tubbe the little ridge that holds the hose just broke off inside the hose so im going to repllace it do i just unscrew it and then screw the new one on or is there4 something special i have to do to install it.

"When replacing a pitot tube

"When replacing a pitot tube

remove the three screws, clean transom surface off.

use good quality silicone and coat the area that the new pitot tube will go, ( the same area you just remove the old one from).
line up the holes and reinstall the screws.
wipe off excess goop.

reinstall hose after cutting a clean piece off.
if needed use a small tie wrap and secure it to the hose when over the pitot tube end."

well i bought a new pilot tube

well i bought a new pilot tube and matched it up with my old one and realized my old one was missing the part that siphons the water throuugh it my old one had a hole.And i always wondered how the water actually went through it now i know i tell ya being a boat owner i still have alot to learn thanks for the help.

Back