Logo

Bad News

ezuskin

Contributing Member
"My port side counter rotating

"My port side counter rotating motor had a dead cylinder. Was hoping it was a stuck valve but after removing head it turns out to be a damaged piston. A small half moon shaped chunk of metal has been worn away at the edge of the piston. Not sure if I am willing to do a total rebuild, boat isn't in very good condition.
Eddie"

"Sorry to hear of that. What c

"Sorry to hear of that. What causes that? Running lean, maybe?
Any idea what might have made that happen?"

"I'm not yet sure. I can p

"I'm not yet sure. I can probably recoup more for the motors, as rebuildable, transmissions and V-drives than I could get selling the entire boat. It is a 1982 3396 Carver Mariner with one rotten stringer and some delamination of the below waterline balsa core. I was depending on the motors to be usable but discovered a dead cylinder before going to the expense of replacing manifolds, elbows and risers.

It seems to me to be time to walk away from this project. I can't see only rebuilding one 35 yr old motor. The boat needs too much to sink 12,000 plus into motors, and cooling parts. I've got about $10K already in the project and even doing it myself I would have $30K invested in a boat that would not bring $20K and would take me 2 more years to complete.

Have I convinced anyone that It is time to run like hell?
Eddie"

"Sorry, man, but you'll be

"Sorry, man, but you'll be better off in the long run. Some people never know when to stay enough and walk away.

Jeff"

"What size/type is the motor?

"What size/type is the motor? This happened to me as well (rev rot motor and all): Exh Manifold leaked, water got into the chamber and rotted the valve, which disintegrated in the cylinder and trashed the bore and the piston. Oh and the head too."

Thanks. I am also the proud ow

Thanks. I am also the proud owner of a rev rot 440 that needs some rehab. If your cam is OK you should be able to line up the rest of the necessary parts without too much trouble. Of course if the boat itself is questionable you have other issues to address first.

Back