Logo

Need to replace exhaust bellows on 86 merc 170

86merc

"I just checked the exhaust be

"I just checked the exhaust bellows on my 86 glastron and noticed that it is completely falling apart. The thing that is bad is that I just had it replaced by a mechanic last year, so I don't understand how it could be so bad already. Anyway, can I replace it without removing the stern drive? And when I do replace it, should I replace it with a tube this time or again with another bellows? Also, can I run it without it? Thanks for any help that anyone can give me!"

"Can I replace it with the tub

"Can I replace it with the tube without removing the drive unit? Can I use the boat before I get it replaced? I don't know how long it will be before I receive the tube, that's my reasoning for asking.
happy.gif
"

"no problem running with a cra

"no problem running with a cracked exaust tube,using a very long thin screwdriver ,there is a hole thru thru the transom on the left side that is inline with the exaust clamp."

Running w/o one dumps too many

Running w/o one dumps too many exhaust bubbles in front of the prop; won't run right since the prop doesn't push air. It will cavitate.

"So if I install a tube, it is

"So if I install a tube, it is only clamped on the transom side and the other side is left open?"

So I could possibly install a

So I could possibly install a tube without removing the drive then...that will help. I am assuming then that it will just possibly be louder when I am running the boat in the lake. Does it cause any problems when the drive is raised all the way up while the engine is running?

Back