Logo

Cant get over 10mph and a 1000rpms

atlboi21

Heres the deal my engine is an

Heres the deal my engine is an 1990 omc cobra 3.0 in a 170 freedom four winns. well it worked fine last year and this year got it to the lake and all looked good. until i tried to gain speed no matter how much throttle was given it wouldnt go over 10mph but if i slowly excelerated it would eventually kick in and run fine until i stopped and i would have to do it again. took it out last night and it would do the typical slow go and kick in but as the day went on it wouldnt kick in at all. my operating temp was 200 oil pressure wouldnt get over 40 and rpms wouldnt get over a 1000! if i put it in neutral i could rev it up and the oil pressure would rise and rpms increase fine just when its in gear it does this. anything would help thanks!

"[b]"if i slowly excelerat

""if i slowly excelerated it would eventually kick in and run fine"
Please give more detail on what you mean by this. What RPM and speed? Running normally?
If so I think I would be looking for throttle linkage and carb problems. Is the throttle plate opening fully?
Compression test is a good idea but if I understand correctly it sounds like the problem (was) somewhat intermitent based on how fast you gassed it.
question.gif
"

"Chuck...I just based the comp

"Chuck...I just based the comp test on Daniel saying he could rev it up fine in neutral, good temp and oil press, could have a weak or dead cyl? Who knows could even be a bad spark plug, Daniel when was the last time a tune up was done with new plugs, points, condenser, fuel filters, timing checked, etc???"

"Hey Bob! Not doubting you by

"Hey Bob! Not doubting you by any means. You are usually dead-on.
thumbs_up.gif
Just trying to understand Daniel's description of the problem and maybe give some hope for an easy fix. Tune-up was also on my mind."

"i have an 89 bayliner 2.3 tha

"i have an 89 bayliner 2.3 that did the same thing. Two years ago it left me stranded, the shop said it had jumped 22 degrees in time, put it back in time, winterized it. last year took it out twice, the first time it was fine, as the day went along started running rough at idle but not when we were traveling. Second time i took it out it ran worse at idle and a couple times i had no power either. turn it off and start it up(letting people on and off the tube) and it would have power, still idleing rough, haven't took it out since, winterized it and put it up. Getting ready to get it out and mess with it but don't know where to start, Can anyone help. Thanks Kenny"

"Kenneth,
Quoting Bob above..

"Kenneth,
Quoting Bob above......
"when was the last time a tune up was done with new plugs, points, condenser, fuel filters,"
Also, when was your carb cleaned or rebuit?"

"The last time a tune up was d

"The last time a tune up was done was before i got it 2 years ago. as far as running normal oil pressure at about 60 speed 35mph. i will look at the options you gave me and i will go through and do a tune up to see if that gets it up and running right. i did change the oil, oil filter and gas filter last month. thank you for your responses anything helps. i was also thinking maybe the esa was going bad and wont kick it in high gear? i get reverse and forward fine."

I've only had the boat for

I've only had the boat for 2 yrs. and don't have a clue on the tune up..all I know is the marina said it had jumped time 22 degrees and they put it back in and the following year it started back firing through the carb and no power one time when you start it and power the next time but still ran rough at an idle. I assumed it was getting of time again. Should I start with a complete tune up? I'm a beginner also and appreciate the feed back.

Kenny If you read through earl

Kenny If you read through earlier posts you will see where I have the sae problem on my 2.3 liter where it will not stay in time. As soon as I can figure out what is causing it I will let you know.
Daniel you say that you cleaned the carb. did you just spray cleaner through it or did you pull the carb completely disassemble it and give it a good soaking in carb cleaner? also have you checked the antisiphon valve and the vent on the fuel tank your problem ay be fuel starvation under load

I didnt take it off i just spr

I didnt take it off i just sprayed it. well when i give it full throttle it sounds like its almost flooding and actually drops below 10mph. when it kicks in it feels like it just shifted gears thats why i asked about the esa? im no expert so anything helps. also how do i locate the valve and vent ill check my manual tonight to see if i can locate.

the antisiphon valve is normal

the antisiphon valve is normally on the fuel tank where the fuel supply line to the fuel pump is connected the vent is a small tube that comes from the tank and exits the hull. Mine is to the left and above the drive. if the vent and antispihon valve are not clogged and you have given the boat a good tuneup and the compression test shows that the cylinders are OK you will probly need to have the carb rebuilt. make sure that you put a float in the carb that is rated for ethanol. Does your boat have points or electronic ignition

"Might want to check your acce

"Might want to check your accelerator pump. With the engine off, look down into the carb while pumping the throttle to see if your getting a good squirt of fuel."

"The ESA (Electronic Shift

"The ESA (Electronic Shift Assist) is only to aid in shifting, mainly when shifting out of gear. Unplug it only for test purposes. You dont want to be without it permanatly. That would be hard on cables and gears and red-*ssing for you.
angry.gif
"

"I surely would appreciate it,

"I surely would appreciate it, Michael. Think I'm gonna try and put it back in time this weekend and mark it if I get a chance to take it out and to see if my dist. is moving also, I can't move it either so maybe mine is doing the same as yours. Where should it be, between 10 and 12 or 12 and 14 degrees?"

kenny that engine should be at

kenny that engine should be at 10 btdc. I am at the point whenever I go out I take a timeing light and dist. wrench with me.

"I took the dist. cap off, too

"I took the dist. cap off, took a socket/ratchet and turned the crank. The rotor button didn't start to move until I had moved it 23 degrees. I barely got it fired up and put a timing light on it and it was somewhere in the 20's DATC. Put it at 10 dbtc as Michael had stated. After it got to normal running temp the timing had went down to TC. I put it at 10 DBTC again and the dist. itself (the screw bracket) was hitting the carb. intake manifold or whatever it is called. It was idleing better than when the marina had put it back in time. It was awesome, turned it off and it fired right back up as if nothing was wrong, purred like a kitten. Then I reved it up some and it died, it had jumped so far out of time that I could not get it started again. I finally played around with moving the dist. around and got it fired up again. It was way far ATC (somewhere around 25 degrees). I don't think I could get in time without pulling the dist. and starting all over and I'm not that knowlegable to do that. This does indicate that the belt needs replaced, correct or no? Could the gear on the dist. cause this or what? Where should I go from here?
uhoh.gif
"

"Pull out the dist, and check

"Pull out the dist, and check that the dist gear is not loose on the shaft.
That engine has no belt but solid gears. Unless Your valve timing is totally out, probably not a gear failure.
Turn engine until TDC, then either valves at cyl 1 or 4 should change from exhaust to inlet. When valves at #4 changes, cyl#1 is at TDC firing, and the dist may be reinstalled and adjusted to 10BTDC."

This thread needs to be locked

This thread needs to be locked.

One guy is talking about a 2.3 Ford with a timing belt
The thread was started about a 3.0 Chevy with timing gears.

This is a good example of bad board etiquette

I am starting a new thread for

I am starting a new thread for keeny grubb's 2.3. Mr Hy Stat I was only trying to help both mr. mccall and grubb with there problems I apoligize for any bad etiquette

Sorry for not getting back to

Sorry for not getting back to anyone that has been helping i took a softball to the face and have been out of commission for a while! Thanks for all the advise once i am 100% i will get back to my boat!

"my operating temp was 200

"my operating temp was 200"
Was in his original description of problem and not mentioned since. Could not this be a big part of it?

Back