Logo

Startproblem TohatsuNissan 90 HP 2 stroke 1992

ullandhaug

"I am located in Norway and am

"I am located in Norway and am struggling with engine starting problems when I should be out on the fjord!

Problem:
The engine is hard to start when it is cold. (The starter motor works well and stop-signal to the CDI box is deactivated). The engine starts easily when warm. It runs well at high rpm but not so well at lower rpm.

Troubleshooting:
I have checked fuel line from tank, hose, pump and cleaned the carburetors. Seems like the spark plugs gets wet by fuel and that the air/fuel rate is correct. (The spark plugs are new and of correct type). I have also tested with the control cable disconnected to eliminate cable errors. Checked that the compression is the same on all 3 cylinders (9 bars - approx. 135 PSI). Have verified that there is spark on all the 3 cylinders when the engine is running and that all are firing. I have checked the choke.

It seams like there is week spark when starting the engine. I have measured the resistance in the exciting coil under the flywheel to eliminate broken coil wire.

How I start the engine:
Fill the tank up with new petrol (95 octane), open the tank vent valve, manual pumping fuel, set the idle speed on full, presses the key to activate the choke and turn key for 30 sec. Then I repeat this for 5-15 times, sometimes with and sometimes without choke, and the engine finally starts. Run it for one minute, and it starts easily after that. (I have also experienced staring problems when warm).

Questions:
1) When I try to start, it seems like the engine fires when I stop cranking. Can there be some issue related to ground of the battery power?
2) How can I find out / measure if the problem is related to ignition coils, CDI, or stator exiting coil?
3) Any other suggestions?

Thank you for any help on my problem!
"

1) Only if you have someth

1) Only if you have something miss wired or if you have a defective ignition switch.
2) Service manual
3) That service manual is going to be your best friend. Start with the electrical system.

"Thanks for answer. I got at t

"Thanks for answer. I got at tip that the start-motor may have an error, making it using too much current. And that this can result in loss in voltage to the coils. (Because the engine fires when i stop to crank, not during cranking.)

Can this be the case? How can I verify if this is the problem?"

"Thanks for all help. It seems

"Thanks for all help. It seems like the main problem was over-choke. When I start without choke, without pumping the manual fuel pump and with full throttle, it starts much easyer
happy.gif
"

Back