Logo

Canbt get on plane

cliff_mygatt

"I have a 26 foot bayliner wit

"I have a 26 foot bayliner with a 5.0 MPI with a bravo 3 outdrive. Two outings ago, I noticed with my wife and I in the boat it was tough getting on plane but I could do it, with some work. With my wife, daughter and I, I could not get the boat on plane last weekend. The engine seems fine. I talked with the shop and they think it may be a "spun prop". Does the bravo 3 have this concern? Any thoughts? My RPM gets to 3400 and I can't get anymore out of her as she tries to get to plane but won't make it even when I have the weight shifted forward."

"For one your underpowered, to

"For one your underpowered, to struggle at 3400 your prop needs to be a smaller pitch,
did it ever run correctly ?
compression test,plugs, fuel filters? fuel pump pressures,
spun prop hubs usually let the engine red-line."

"Ayuh,... Clean the Sealife o

"Ayuh,... Clean the Sealife off the bottom of your boat..."

"How about the foam in the hul

"How about the foam in the hull, is it saturated with water? That will add a ton of weight on a boat your size. Make sure your transom and stringers don't have dry rot and allow water penetration."

"I took the boat out of the wa

"I took the boat out of the water to get it to the shop and the outdrive is covered with Barnacles. The tech seems to think that is the problem. The shop is doing the 200 hr service so will take a look at the drive as well. I agree the boat is a bit under powered but that is how it is. I have had no trouble with normal loads getting on plane. So, I think the growth is the problem. Thanks for responsed and I will let you know the final outcome, after I pay a boat buck or two."

If there are barnacles on the

If there are barnacles on the OD you can just about bet they are also in the cooling system. If it uses a heat exchanger have it inspected for barnacles along w/the water coupler on the gimbal where sea water enters from the outside.

"Thanks, the shop is taking th

"Thanks, the shop is taking the outdrive apart for service and I suppose they will look at that. I have fresh water cooling on the engine and the heat exchanger looks good when I chased a seawater pressure problem to the pressure sensor in April."

"I Got the boat back from the

"I Got the boat back from the shop and it runs GREAT! The sea growth on the out drive was the problem. However, when they took the outdrive apart for service, they found water in the gimble bearing area and had to replace, ouch ($1500). This is the second time for this problem. The first time, Mercury paid for it as it was a "known" problem. I ask Mercury if they would pay again as it was not fixed properly the first time. No luck. Oh well, the boat is back in the water and running like a champ. Thanks Kitsap Marina in Port Orchard, WA. They are now my baots best friend. Thanks for your help and suggestions."

Back