Logo

Hand cranking motor

wet_wonder

Contributing Member
"Hi, I need to pickup a socke

"Hi, I need to pickup a socket to crank the motor to cylindar 1 for installing a new distributor. Does anyone know what size socket it would be for the crank nut for a Mercruiser 351W? I could probably get an adjustable wrench in their and guestimate the size, but was wondering if anyone knew.
Thanks, WW"

Do not do it that way!

get

Do not do it that way!

get three bolts that screw into the holes that the pully is screwed into (at the harmonic balancer) and use them with a pry bar to rotate the motor.

If you use a socket on the bolt you could tighten the harmonic balancer and the pully further onto the crank and the pully will be out of alignment.

"OK do it anyway you choose BU

"OK do it anyway you choose BUT if the harmonic balancer and pully move in towards the engine and become missaligned you will have a much more difficult time getting it back in alignment!

No one said it would be easy, Besides if you can get a 1/2 inch rachet wrench and socket in there to turn over the engine you most certainly should be able to remove the three or four screws holding the pully."

"The only way that motor turns

"The only way that motor turns that easily in the video is because there are no pistons in it.
Try turning your with the crank bolt and you just might be looking to pull the motor and replace the crankshaft.
Can you remove part of the bulkhead?
Can you use a strap wrench.
Compression tester hose and listen for the puff and look at the rotor, should get you very close."

remove coil wire from distribu

remove coil wire from distributor and ground out and put in forward gear and step on the prop with spark plugs out and get a person to watch for the rotor where it gets to number one if your replacing the distibutor may as well change the spark plugs and wires

"Well, it was a 1" socket.

"Well, it was a 1" socket. I spun it around once and felt the compression in cylinder 1 with my finger and all is done."

"DD Determind dave<[img]"http:

"DD Determind dave
lol.gif
"

Back